Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this video I practice the age old principle of aim small, miss small by shooting at a picture frame hook. I take it a step further by shooting it with my bare shaft arrow to test out how well my arrows are tuned. I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
It's fun to mix it up and come up with new shooting ideas.

The biggest challenge of aim small, miss small is most targets being shot are large and we need to get that focus away from the overall area of the target and down to a small area on the actual target, so practicing many different ways will help build confidence.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Brewer nice shooting.

Steve, good point.
I as a older archer try to not focus on aiming and holding but on watching for a pattern in my form. See your brain will always center the object but your body will cause movement. Same contest we would have at the range shooting a ping pong ball on a string at forty yards. My son would win the pot. Young eyes. LOL
Dan
dan

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The hardest part isn't focusing on the small spot but ignoring all the other stuff around it. Shooting at small hanging objects helps you understand the concept of what's required but you still have to learn how to ignore all the rest of the 3D or whatever target it may be.

One of the dangers of practice is people often like to keep within their comfort zone, rarely pushing their personal limits so when shooting for real, target, 3d or animal their confidence breaks down. You have to discover your weaknesses and make them your strengths.

Trying new and different things is the best way to find your limits and be confident whatever shooting situation comes your way :thumbs_up

·
Registered
437 Posts
Many a target is discarded in the trash long before it's useful life is over. Start by shooting at the x. Only x's count. When the center of the target gets blown out continue to shoot at the shreads of paper remaining. Don't throw the thing away until you have shot off all of the highest scoring ring. You would be surprised how shooting at smaller and smaller spots inproves aiming focus. If you can get another archer to join in increases the challenge. One year our club range chairman came up with a "'shot shoot" which allowed recurve and compound archers to compete, Initial spot size determined for a qualifing round. Each weeks score determined next weeks spot size. Shoorting at a smaller and smaller spot each week is challenging and the overall 300 scores improved as a result.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Today is my 68th birthday and I started archery when I was 8. I would advise you to rethink your form for longevity. I used to shoot with the same stance and 68 pounds. It twisted my spine. You may want to think about some bone on bone contact to take some stress off joints. Stress that you don't notice now, but give it a few years.

In addition, when I took the Rod Jenkins class, half of the class had TP from the GFA swing draw.

On the other hand, I sure can't argue with your results. Very good shooting, with what must be well tuned equipment.

Bowmania

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well Mr. Bowmania we have in common a birthday January ,22 a archery starting year 8 yrs old and a love for archery. You have 10 years of additional experience than I do and I can relate to archery related muscle/skeletal injuries. All of mine attributed to many, many arrows shot from heavy draw 70+ weight bows. Even shot with the best of form over time the heavy bow will finid the weakest link in the chain and set up on the offensive.

Happy Birthday to you wishes for many more healthy archery years to you!

·
32,712 Posts
Enjoyed that.....I aim small and miss big!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today is my 68th birthday and I started archery when I was 8. I would advise you to rethink your form for longevity. I used to shoot with the same stance and 68 pounds. It twisted my spine. You may want to think about some bone on bone contact to take some stress off joints. Stress that you don't notice now, but give it a few years.

In addition, when I took the Rod Jenkins class, half of the class had TP from the GFA swing draw.

On the other hand, I sure can't argue with your results. Very good shooting, with what must be well tuned equipment.

Bowmania

Thanks for the info I have only been shooting for a year so am still trying to find the best stance. Getting square with the target, focusing, and drawing through the back has given me the best results so far. I sure don't want to mess up my back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts