Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you go against your gut instinct and what technology can give to us.

I bought a new performance bow this year as a treat to myself. I have had a devil of a time with it hitting farther and farther left....so I call the MFG of the bow.

I was shooting 2312 with 70 grain nibs which spine pretty good according my software TAP. After discussing this with the MFG (I am @ 70 pounds and 29") I am informed he thinks I am overspined and should try a much softer arrow. I say fine (against my instincts because this IS a performance bow).

I set up some arrows in a softer spine (carbon this time) and go and shoot. the 3rd arrow did the damage in the picture....The softer arrow actually EXPLODED on release I believe the back 6" of the arrow did this to my arm...it all happend so fast....

Moral of the story. If you have a pretty fast bow.....and your MFG says because of THIS design......and recommends a softer arrow....Listen to your software! :) ;) After I thought about this I realized how much of a moron I was....energy is energy.....it is GOING to be delivered to the arrow regardless of the design of the bow!!!!!!

I have purposely left out the mfg's of both the bow and arrow pending the results of the very pissed off phone calles being made next.

Attachments

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I see lots of pain and suffering....in their futures. ;)

Hope ya' heal up quickly!:)

· Registered
1,231 Posts
To he11 with the phone calls...that's enough to have me waiting in the parking lot for that guy. Sonuvabuck that loos like it hurts. I agree....go with your gut!!:eek: Glad it was only your arm....could have been worse!!

· Registered
2,919 Posts
ouch! luckily it looks like no fibers in there

I never could figure out why a softer arrow would be better in any situation . . . and you would think the mfgr would know better . . . this looks like an extreme example of why "stiffer is better" :wink:

isn't this where the IBO rule orignally came from -- light arrows being underspined and folding on the shot?

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Yeowch! Sorry to hear that happened to you, but hey, chicks dig scars.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Just wondering if you gave the arrow a proper safety inspection before you shot it. Maybe a chance the spine of the arrow was not fully the cause. Food for thought.
Sorry to see you got hurt though. That sucks.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wondering if you gave the arrow a proper safety inspection before you shot it. Maybe a chance the spine of the arrow was not fully the cause. Food for thought.
Sorry to see you got hurt though. That sucks.
Ironically enough......this has happened to me before....2004 when the Slayer came out. I had a 60 pounder and the same thing happend with these arrows.

The MFG informed me that I needed to check them after every shot....This is why I switched to aluminums and never looked back.

This was a brand new arrow probably shot a few times......

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Glad it wasn't worse Tony. I have heard the same suggestions about a certain speed bow but it just doesn't make sense. Like you said that energy has to go somewhere.
I guess the laws of physics and the conservation of energy laws don't apply if you engineer them out! :wink::wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.