Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But how do you get your FOC % higher without loosing some speed? Right now I am shooting a 30" arrow with 3 vanes, a lightweight plastic nok, and a 100gn tip. Shooting ICS 400's. My draw is 29.5" and I get 270 fps out of this set up. Are there different arrows that would yeild a better fos? Right no, according to http://lmariana.wso.net/foc.htm, my fos is 7.98%. Any help for the peretually ignorant would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Try increasing your broadhead to 125 grains and the F.O.C. will increase. Don't worry about your speed. If you are shooting well with you current setup, leave it alone. The F.O.C. is a tool for helping your setup. It is not the absolute rule.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK

I will give that a shot. But that leads to more questions. If I do that, will I have to go to the Beman 340 instead of the 400 that I currently shoot? Is the spine in the 400 strong enough for the extra weight? Is 7.9 foc enough as it is? The website that figures the fos says that for hunting, a minimum of 9 is desirable. According to Eastons calculator, my Kinetic is around 47 to 50. I guess the main reason I am asking all of this is because my 100 field tips group really we but my expandable heads are very inconsistent.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
You did not state how long your vanes were, but vanes are very heavy compared to feathers.

Try switching to feathers, your FOC will jump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4"

OK, thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
mace - Big Country has got it right - feathers DO weigh considerably less than vanes do, and will REALLY increase your FOC considerably... However, they can present a whole different issue when it comes to hunting - lating down when wet, and overall durability issues... Now I know ALOT of people sucessfully hunt with them, so I know it can be done... You might want to try this, though: I've always used 3 inch fletches for mechanical broadhead use, and had VERY good results - it's more than enough steering for these types of broadheads... Maybe you should give 3 inchers a try - they'll bring your FOC up a little more, without having to switch to feathers - not as much so, but maybe just enough to make a difference... Just a though,

- georgestrings

·
Registered
830 Posts
Before you knock yourself out over foc. You need to calucate FOC with your broadheads. FOC is measures from nock to tip. A 30 inch arrow with a 2" hunting broadhead is 32".
Do the Math don't use the computer.
Try doing a bare shaft planing test to see how well you bow is tuned. It sounds like a tuning problem not a FOC problem.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Go to Bow Jackson's Archery Page . He's got some good calculators there to play with. Feathers are a good idea. Another is Arrow Dynamics Nitro Stinger Tapered Arrows . A lot of the traditional archers use these shafts and the reports are favorable. They are tapered to a smaller diameter on the nock end thus giving them more weight in the front for the spine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't get caught up in numbers.How well is your set up shooting?Yeah your a little low on foc but I've shot some set ups similar with no problems.If you start changing tip weight etc you will mess with the spine which is much more important.If your arrows are grouping good and they aren't trying to swap ends don't sweat it.

CB

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Remember that foc really only is important when shooting long distances, like the FITA guys and gals do. 99% of hunting situations that involve shots under 40 yards, foc is way down on the list of important numbers. Pay more attention to correct spine, good arrow flight and good groups.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts