Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a comparison today with my current bow, Matthews triax, prime centergy, matthews halon 32 and a centergy air. Before when I was shooting the new bows I really liked them. Because they are all really nice. I decided to do a side by side comparison with my martin inferno.

That said, I did not go home with a new bow. Speed is better with the Matthews bows and the feel is similar but the draw is just a little stiff in comparison. For obvious reasons because it is faster then my martin. But I could not get consistant with that Matthews grip. The triax was much smoother then the halon 32 for me but neither were smoother then my martin was "for me" so my martin wins here cause I just shoot it way better. Now the centergy and the centergy air was really stiff for me and dumped off way to much at the wall. Grip was great for me and I was very consistant with the bow. But in comparison I was getting the same speeds with a much easier to draw bow. No brainer right?

I'm still looking to try out some more brands to compare against. I'm not trying to say Martin's are better cause I would be lying. But what put the nail in the coffin for me is I shot my bow thru paper after a year old tune and it shot a perfect bullet hole. Not worth changing if you ask me.

This is not a hate post its just an experience I had today. Take your bow with you when you try new bows and just do a side by side test to see how much better your actually getting. I hoping to test out some other soon. But I just haven't found anything so much better for me to justify replacing my main rig.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
no reason to buy for the sake of buying, if you aren't blown away by a bow, keep your Martin. I don't think you are crazy, my alien x that I bought new in 05' is in my mind one of the best bows ever produced.... for me.

I gave it to my father in law a few years ago (probably 2010) and have been going through a bow a year since, even got another alien x, but I didn't like it as much, I think it had slightly different cams, it was a 2011 bow, but didn't feel the same.

I think I found the bow that I will keep for a few years in the Triax, it aims really well for me, and is just plain fun to shoot. it's a personal choice, don't settle, or you will just be shopping again. good luck.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The new bows are not that much different than the bows from 5-10 years ago.

The companies stopped chasing speed because they ran into an impasse (i.e. physics) and now they're pushing comfort and user-friendly adjustability.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's harder to shell out the extra money for a new bow that does nothing different than the one currently in the stable.

That being said, I just bought a 2017 PSE Evolve 35 from the classifieds since I wanted to try some new tech. If it is as good as everyone says it is, I'll be making a thread like this in 5 years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50,379 Posts

The companies stopped chasing speed because they ran into an impasse (i.e. physics) and now they're pushing comfort and user-friendly adjustability.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's harder to shell out the extra money for a new bow that does nothing different than the one currently in the stable.

That being said, I just bought a 2017 PSE Evolve 35 from the classifieds since I wanted to try some new tech. If it is as good as everyone says it is, I'll be making a thread like this in 5 years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
LOL couldn't disagree more. There is a huge difference in bows from 5 to 10 years ago to today.

·
Registered
10,786 Posts
LOL couldn't disagree more. There is a huge difference in bows from 5 to 10 years ago to today.
Still waiting to be wowed by these huge differences. I shoot the new bows every year and none have impressed me enough to want to give up my old obsolete switchback. Still the smoothest bow I've shot to date. The htx is a very smooth shooter with a whopping 8 fps faster with a 1" shorter brace, the halon 7 has a 15 fps faster ibo but not nearly as smooth as my switch.. not saying the new bows and technology arn't great because they absolutely are, just not seeing any HUGE DIFFERENCES over my 13 year old bow.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
My Bowtech admiral is a prime example of how bows now are better. Don’t get me wrong I loved that bow it was extremely quite with zero vibe but at 70lbs the draw was pretty harsh. I can think of a few bows now that draw way smoother and are shooting about 20fps faster.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my inferno is only a couple years old so its got a lot of newer tech I suppose. I just dont see a point in "upgrading" to something that I don't feel shoots as well for me. Maybe another brand will stand out to me.

I replaced my limbsaver deadzone with my martin because I was getting more speed, with an easier draw, and just a better bow. Thats the difference between a bow made in 2009 and a bow made in 2016. But the last couple years, I just haven't seen to much improvement over what I have now. I do however miss that dead zone and have been trying to find one for a backup rig.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts

This^^

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Still waiting to be wowed by these huge differences. I shoot the new bows every year and none have impressed me enough to want to give up my old obsolete switchback. Still the smoothest bow I've shot to date. The htx is a very smooth shooter with a whopping 8 fps faster with a 1" shorter brace, the halon 7 has a 15 fps faster ibo but not nearly as smooth as my switch.. not saying the new bows and technology arn't great because they absolutely are, just not seeing any HUGE DIFFERENCES over my 13 year old bow.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
My point exactly. The manufacturers act like if you have last years bow you can’t kill a deer or 10 ring. But what’s Dale supposed to say? He works at a pro shop that wants you to buy a new bow.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I hear ya. I buy new each year.
not this year, found one of my all time favorite bows in the classifieds. PSE bowmadness single cam.
I realized that im not a big fan of high let-off, large valley draw cycles. Call me nuts, but single cam
draw/valley/wall fits me best.
Dont get me wrong, there are things about the newer models i love, like the lack of vibe, and quietness.
Its a give and take i guess?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This past Friday I went to the bow shop to get a Triax and I took my Halon. There is a couple things I like better about the Triax but the stiffer draw when shooting it side by side my Halon I left without buying the Triax. I think i’m gonna get the Triax and keep my Halon for a safety belt if I don’t shoot the Triax as well at distance. The Triax draw length felt shorter to me also. The 28 inch draw Triax felt like 27.5 on my Halon. Could have been the string angle difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to disagree, bows are a lot better than they were 10 years ago. If you have shot one bow for 10 years if prob feels perfect to you but with that being said if you got a new bow and shot it awhile and then went back and shot your old bow it would probably blow your mind. After you ahoot that Evolve awhile you will see that the newer bows are better than the bows from 10 years ago. I sold my Z7 to my buddy a couple years ago and he brought it over and I shot it. It felt awkward and I don’t see why I bought it, but at the time I guess it was a good bow and wasn’t much better out but these bows now blow it away.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
This past Friday I went to the bow shop to get a Triax and I took my Halon. There is a couple things I like better about the Triax but the stiffer draw when shooting it side by side my Halon I left without buying the Triax. I think i’m gonna get the Triax and keep my Halon for a safety belt if I don’t shoot the Triax as well at distance. The Triax draw length felt shorter to me also. The 28 inch draw Triax felt like 27.5 on my Halon. Could have been the string angle difference.
i'm a 28" draw with my chill r, and 28.5" on the triax. I feel like the triax isn't stiffer than a Halon, just hits peak weight at a different part of the draw. to me, it starts a little stiff, then drops a little, gets stiff and comes into the valley. it is a very smooth draw, just has a different draw cycle. it took me a few shots to get used to it, now it feels as good as my chill r, it's far from a harsh draw cycle, but it's unique.

sure is crazy at, and after the shot. never felt anything like it! holds on target amazing for a short bow too, quite an amazing little bow.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I agree. They are about 3X more money today! LOL

Seriously, I wouldn't go back as far as 10 years, but IMHO, I haven't seen a lot of step-change advancements in the last five. And, as someone said, archery companies stay in business by selling bows so it should not be a surprise that they claim it's impossible to hit deer or bullseyes with last years' model!:wink:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unless the FPS changes dramatically, I really don’t think the new bows are worth it to buy every year. I bought a 2017 Hoyt pro defiant and that was an upgrade from my 2011, it was a big difference to me. Not so much in speed but cam smoothness and better grouping. If I was buying a Matthews I would get last years Halon 32, I cant see how the new 28” aTa Triax would be an improvement. I read they made the smaller aTa bow to satisfy hunters who use ground blinds. Unless a bow breaks the 400 FPS mark, I’m keeping mine. Really don’t know how they would make them that fast without some kind duel cam pulley system or something

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Unless the FPS changes dramatically, I really don’t think the new bows are worth it to buy every year. I bought a 2017 Hoyt pro defiant and that was an upgrade from my 2011, it was a big difference to me. Not so much in speed but cam smoothness and better grouping. If I was buying a Matthews I would get last years Halon 32, I cant see how the new 28” aTa Triax would be an improvement. I read they made the smaller aTa bow to satisfy hunters who use ground blinds. Unless a bow breaks the 400 FPS mark, I’m keeping mine. Really don’t know how they would make them that fast without some kind duel cam pulley system or something
My 2010 Monster 6 is faster than any 6" BH bow Mathews has dreamed up since, I think bows are smoother drawing and have zero vib at the shot, but with all engineering on bows, there's a give and take, smoother almost always means slower.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts