Archery Talk Forum banner

This old hunter wants to try targets.

524 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Pager21
So what does everyone suggest spots or 3d? I am leaning towards 3d,since it is great prep for hunting. I have NEVER shot either,well I have 3d for fun. But I would really like to go to an actual shoot and give it a try. I am thinking of using my Alien for this. I want to leave my hunting set up,my Cardiac SD would be used also. I imagine like all things archery,I will get hooked. If so I will buy a new bow just for targets. So what kind of pointers do you all have for a target newbie?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
I would say to shoot em all. Indoor helps your form and execution, and outdoor spots will tell you about tuning and consistency. 3d is great prep for hunting like you say, but also a heck of a lot of fun. If you do it right you won't have but two free weekends a year to go fishing.:mg:

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Distances are the hardest thing to learn and the most important aspect of 3D. Start judging yardage now.... seriously... even before your bow arrives.
I am not bragging,but I am pretty good at distances. I think it comes from 25+ years of bowhunting,many of which were pre-laser range finder. Also I LOVE stump shooting,wich really helps with snap judging distances.

· Registered
583 Posts
I am not bragging,but I am pretty good at distances. I think it comes from 25+ years of bowhunting,many of which were pre-laser range finder. Also I LOVE stump shooting,wich really helps with snap judging distances.
If that's the case, then I'd say you're all set to get in the hunter class at any local 3D shoot. See how you do there and then move classes accordingly. Be careful... its addictive. Almost like crack or something... :shade::darkbeer:

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that's the case, then I'd say you're all set to get in the hunter class at any local 3D shoot. See how you do there and then move classes accordingly. Be careful... its addictive. Almost like crack or something... :shade::darkbeer:
As far as being addictive I already figured it would be for me. First it has to do with archery,second I am extremely competitive. :D

· Registered
2,016 Posts
You'll have more fun!

:mg:3d is more fun ,but shooting spots isn't as easy as you may think :eek:,but good luck!

· Registered
2,559 Posts
Distances are the hardest thing to learn and the most important aspect of 3D. Start judging yardage now.... seriously... even before your bow arrives.
I agree. As you go through your day, especially while walking about, constantly estimating distances and then stepping off the distance. Even in an urban setting, it helps.

I would also shoot a spot league. Great for working your form, and "shot sequence", ingraining both into the brain stem.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Just jump in and try them. I only use one bow for everything, though am looking at getting a second bow this year- still hunter class. I'd never shot spots until a friend asked if I wanted to go to a state competition 3 months ago- I am hooked. (the shoot is this weekend.. eek)

As for 3D, its a blast. I couldn't judge yardage at all when I started (I play the woman card there) but in one season of 3D, I can't believe how much I improved. If you get the chance, go to an R100 shoot ( www.r100.org ). They are really a blast and very laid back. They also give away amazing prizes. Check local shops and clubs for lists of 3D shoots. Show up and have fun.

Be prepared to lose a few arrows in 3D though-- we keep "water arrows". Those would be older arrows that we dont mind losing, because some of the shots will be set up in front of a pond or field, so that if you miss you will never, ever, ever find your arrow. I have also seen the apple buck (a buck with an apple on its nose, the apple is 25 bonus points) set about 2 feet in front of the largest tree they could find. The people who set these up are borderline sadists.

· Registered
159 Posts
Spots (or paper animals) for me, over 3D. I'm not exactly a "people person" when it comes to this sport.

How about this for a consideration? grab a bag, block or cube type portable and practice with it. If you can back yard shoot, great! Perhaps a local (remote) park, or a farmer's field, or something along those lines. Throw your target in the trunk and take a drive, there's a lot more freedom (and almost no cost) to this approach.

In any event, I'd really suggest setting up a bow with a target sight like an HHA rather than a multi-pin sight.

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spots (or paper animals) for me, over 3D. I'm not exactly a "people person" when it comes to this sport.

How about this for a consideration? grab a bag, block or cube type portable and practice with it. If you can back yard shoot, great! Perhaps a local (remote) park, or a farmer's field, or something along those lines. Throw your target in the trunk and take a drive, there's a lot more freedom (and almost no cost) to this approach.

In any event, I'd really suggest setting up a bow with a target sight like an HHA rather than a multi-pin sight.
Thanks for the advice,I already have HHA single pin sliders on both of my bows.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Spots are awesome. I love them. Paper animals are fun too. I have never actually shot a3d but the state tournament is here this year so I will probably give it a whirl. They say it is fun. The thign with shooting targets is that it gets you totally addicted to a different group of equipment. Speed and distance will mean nothing, accuracy and feel become more important. The less pounds the better. Good luck. It is great fun.

Thanks for the advice,I already have HHA single pin sliders on both of my bows.

· Registered
544 Posts
I currently have only a hunting set-up and shoot all of them.

I like spots in winter when getting out can be difficult, and they force me to concentrate on hitting the spot dead center.

When it warms up i go for 3D shoots for the work guessing yardages and dealing with obstructions when shooting. My first one of the year will hopefully be this weekend.

They both help me practice making the shot from different aspects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.