Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I went out to my garage freezer to pull out some venison steaks for dinner tonight. The freezer died and I don't know when. Meat was cool but not cold so I'm thinking it died at least a few days ago maybe longer. Enough for all the meat to thaw and even get warmer. Really sucks. Looks like I'll be chucking my doe. Sucks cause I just got her about 3.5 weeks ago from the butcher. Even my Bologna roll, I just cut into it ate some and froze it 1.5 weeks ago after it hung in the garage for a couple weeks. My whole archery deer for this year gone.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Had that happen a few years ago, I kept a large freezer outside and had a upright inside and the upright was for what we cooked regularly like burger and sausage and the outside I had couple whole shoulders for smoking and my fox I was gonna mount and a deer skull and some back straps and extra sausage. It was a week before I found out the compressor went out!!! Was NASTY!!!! Sorry bout your luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've had that happen before, it's a huge bummer... I lost about a hundred pounds of albacore, salmon and venison because of a fuse popping :(

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Been there as well. Happened to me in the middle of summer a few years ago and the meat was toast!! Threw up multiple times cleaning that bad boy out, PAHAHAHAHAHA!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Happened to me after a moose hunt a few years ago. Went to get a roast out for christmas eve the night before. 45 yr old man, standing in his boxer shorts in front of 300 lbs of spoiled meat was a sorry sight. Sad thing is, the freezer came unplugged when Christmas decorations got taken out of the basement.....even worse, I was the one who took them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,121 Posts
Season isnt over!!!

·
Registered
18,983 Posts
Been there, done that, it sucks for sure.
I check mine daily ever since.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, well at least I'm not alone in this. Silver lining for me is a little extra motivation to get out after Christmas for the late season. Still have a doe and buck tag to fill

P.S. Thanks everyone for the words of feeling. It sure does suck. At least I still some jerky to tear into.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Man that sucks!
It happened to me a few years ago, I lost all kind of fish and meat. I've been crazy about checking it ever since. New freezer has an alarm on it and I check it at least every other day.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Happened here to a while back...One of us kicked the extension cord out of the wall..
Venison and seafood all got wasted...was a tough loss
go get another if you can!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Several years ago I bought a side of beef when price were super high. Had a few steaks and 3weeks later I notice the indicator light was out. It was July. When I opened the freezer it smelled so bad. I did not realize the breaker tripped. Such a waste. My insurance actually covered $250.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Well this thread has me worried. The day I shot my first deer my dad went out and got the chest freezer I am still using to this day. He bought it used from a friend. That was in 1996 lol. It’s still going strong but maybe I should think about replacing it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yep. Totally sucks. Unfortunately you'll have that.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,391 Posts
Had that happen to me, it was a young buck, you could cut it with a fork and really tasted good..

·
Registered
780 Posts
Had it happen to me last year, lost way too much meat. Just picked up a new 20 cubic foot upright freezer. Hoping to get one of these for Christmas or one with a wifi option to alarm me if it ever goes out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts