Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a rest on bow and tied a loop on the string today. Two shots later about half way through the draw the bow goes off gives me a bloody nose the bow hits the cement floor now I need a new lower cam. My zero gap caliper release, upon close inspection should be called big gap. The string loop slipped through the jaws and went off.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
NEVER TRUST THE RELEASE! Draw away from your face and move the bow in after it is drawn.

I hope that you get better soon,

kgk

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
check

Check the material you use for the loop also!!! I had problems last year with that an I learned the hard way myself!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why do people do that? :rolleyes: I see people drawing bows without arrows all the time. People standing next to them (even in front of them) etc.. Ive had to chunk two arrows and put a little spackling in the holes in my bow room wall that faces outside but it sure beat dry firing a bow or loosing an eye.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey, don't feel bad, if the truth be known, lots of us have had similar experiences. I have had a release break free because of a set screw turning out, and hit my teeth. WOW. I felt like Tyson hit me and my teeth were loose for a couple of days. I now draw away from my mouth, and come up to my anchor. School of hard knocks. Then, there is the hole in the wall from the solution 3, oh ya, that is another story..........LOL

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Those releases sound painfull!:eek: My fingers have never gone off prematurely and hit me in the nose.:p Just funnin'! Lakeview, sorry about your nose.:( Shoot Straight! >>------->:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never happened to me until now but I've seen it happen with different people with different kinds of releases. Be assured that you're not alone in this.

First time it was with a Golden Key cascade 8. It wouldn't go of upon releasing the button but it did release while this guy was undrawing his bow with a bloody nose as a result. After inspection there seemed to be some rust on the inside.
This inspired someone else in my club to clean his release (can't remember the brand) and tune the sensitivity of his trigger again to a very light setting. After that he put some silicon oil in it. First time he hit himself in the face he thought, he must have touched the trigger, so he tried again. Second time he hit his nose, he was still convinced he did something wrong and absolutely wanted to try again. Third time he hit himself unconscious for a couple of seconds. Only after that we could convince him that his trigger was really a little bit too light. :D Some people are hard to convince.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I pitched my bow on a draw once when my release rope broke. I learned my lesson, I don't shoot without a wrist strap. It's loose so it doesn't interfere with my hold but if something goes wrong during a draw, I don't loose cams, scopes, etc.

-Scot

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I hate it when that happens!
I sock myself at least once annually no matter what type equipment I'm using.
I normally draw away from my face,but evantually I get comfortable again and don't,then.............KERSMACK!........as a reminder.
Sorry guy,but I'm cracking up over this one.Especially after the guy that did it 3 times.
Jerry

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta have a sense of humor about such things, funny now but extrmly mad when it happened.
I have a wrist strap just didn't put it on I got the bow last Saturday and didn't have time to play till yesterday so in my excitement just didn't put the strap on it.
No amount of oil will fix the release after I figured out what caused it, big sledge hammer and 4 or 5 whacks took care of that release big time.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I guess you showed that release who runs the show!.......man you need help.Maybe we can all pitch in and get you a new release that comes with anger management sessions.
Jerry

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My wife got a new bow from her boss and pulled it halfway back and touched the trigger and shot a hole in the wall!:eek: I'm glad she didn't break her face.:p I like it the way it is!:D

·
Registered
788 Posts
GOBY
that has got to be the funniest one i have heard for ages,i think the first two punches must have disconnected something between his ears.my first punch in the face came from using a cascade release as well,straight out the blue halfway through the draw and straight in the chops.didn't bleed to much though,just loosened up the teeth a bit.only done it once more,and wised up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been shooting with a Tru Ball Sweet Spot,my first true back-tension release for a few months now.I've heard and seen at my pro shop several people get busted lips.Although my release has a safety,I've started drawing away from my face slightly in the hopes when it is my time for a loop to break or tension screw to back out that it wont be my nose or mouth paying the price..
Seeing it happen is bad enough..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a arrow in the wall as a remembrence of the whole thing too. Lets hear some more stories from others so I won't feel like such an idiot. I have seen it happen to others this was my first time not near as funny when it happens to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts