Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
PSE Stinger Max, 55lb,4x mag, 400 grain X5Envy arrows, 1/2 w/ factory 4" vanes, 1/2 w/Hellfire twist
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing on my great adventure this morning:

This fella came out of the woods after my 7th volley of the day and alternated between eating clover, scratching his or her head and FOLLOWING me.

I've been near some dear before in parks rollerblading. A good size buck and me both startled each other one night I was 1/2 blind from staring at the moon through my telescope. This one is the first that approached me while I was active and spent a good amount of time 20 to 30 yards from me.

When we looked at each other and it did not run I wondered if it was ok so I whistled at it and got minimal reaction. Then I talked to it asking if it was ok and it stuck around. Finally I went back to shooting. I took and pulled 3 more 5 shot volleys before I was done. Then packed up and walked back to that "beauty" of a 275,000 mile MarkVIII you see in the background and the darned deer walked behind me closing the distance.

To be overly simple, I don't hunt, but don't you all have to go stalking these fellas in the woods staying upwind or planting the right chum to attract them? The only thing worse this poor deer could of done is camped out in front of the target. Who am I kidding, it probably could see I only have field points and knows it isn't hunting season lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Continuing on my great adventure this morning:

I've been near some dear before in parks rollerblading. A good size buck and me both startled each other one night I was 1/2 blind from staring at the moon through my telescope. This one is the first that approached me while I was active and spent a good amount of time 20 to 30 yards from me.
So you're the guy in the park chasing wildlife on rollerblades holding a telescope... LOL

I have "domestic" deer in my neighborhood. Imagine having to drive past the deer every morning on your way the public woods. Won't see any deer in the woods there, then drive home and have to go past the herd 2 houses down from your house, again. It can really wear on you mentally. And yes, the neighborhood is called "Bucks Canyon"

·
Registered
PSE Stinger Max, 55lb,4x mag, 400 grain X5Envy arrows, 1/2 w/ factory 4" vanes, 1/2 w/Hellfire twist
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're the guy in the park chasing wildlife on rollerblades holding a telescope... LOL

I have "domestic" deer in my neighborhood. Imagine having to drive past the deer every morning on your way the public woods. Won't see any deer in the woods there, then drive home and have to go past the herd 2 houses down from your house, again. It can really wear on you mentally. And yes, the neighborhood is called "Bucks Canyon"
Buck's Canyon lol. aka Buck Hunter's Tease Canyon.

The first time I passed a couple deer on rollerblades and they did not run I was just shocked. Next loop I started thinking about how likely they were to run in front of a car and I debated if it appeared a collision was imminent what to do. Going in for a check like in hockey would probably of been best but I don't know the rules on checking deer.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Everywhere I have been that deer are not hunted they get to be very comfortable around people. Unless they are in a zoo I've never seen them get close enough you could touch them, but within 15 feet or so absolutely.

It's funny they can be that close to you and if you make any jerky or sketchy movements they will be still like you can't see them if they don't move. Same thing they do in the woods just so close it is not as effective.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably a combination of habituation to humans in that park and the fact that you weren't acting like a predator. It is amazing to just relax and watch what they do when they aren't bothered by your presence.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Around where I live they are use to seeing people and having close interactions. If you are quiet sometimes they will get pretty close but they have just become use their surroundings.

·
Registered
None
580 Posts

I had a side kick today as well. It stayed for a long time. I'm only shooting one arrow working on a form change. I'd fire and go get my arrow that rabbit didn't care lol. It was like 15ft away.

Reactions: omoore

·
Mark
5,913 Posts
I've had deer watching me shoot in my backyard. After they watched where I was hitting they did not seem to be very worried! Maybe I need more practice!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've had deer cross the shooting lane at a 3D course several times. I'm certain that they become conditioned to thier environment. Particularly, when it's non-threatening. (For example, shooting, not hunting). I've also seen them graze close to train tracks and not show any indication of nervousness when loud trains pass by.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Had this little guy last fall not have a care in the world! We just got done running the wood chipper and stump grinder.

·
Slinging Arrows
1,517 Posts
If the deer aren't hunted heavily, they get used to humans being in their environment.
I've seen deer eating on the edge of I-95 in Florida with cars blazing past doing 70-80mph with not a care in the world.

·
Registered
24,942 Posts
Habituation and lack of hunting pressure is the key to such behavior in wildlife. Several years ago at our prior home, I was cutting the back yard on our lawn tractor and noticed a baby bunny trying to hide in the grass right in front of me. I got a pair of gloves from the garage to reduce human scent and moved it to our ground level deck with space to hide underneath. Apparently it took to me as I would go out to shoot and it often fed in front of me as arrows wizzed overhead. It lived under the deck for at least a year and then got hit on the road.....I actually felt bad for it.

Now go to the woods where there are coyotes and hawks and two-legged predators and wildlife behave much different. I drive past a house with a large bird feeder on the way to spring turkey hunt and frequently see a couple longbeards and flock of hens out in the front yard eating bird seed. Then I sneak into the woods in camo and calls and encounter nothing..... :rolleyes: :unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts