Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a picture of the 6X6 I settled on after 9 days hunting and 3 days trying to get a shot an 8X8 400+ bull in the herd this one came from. But the largest boys never came out of the woods until dark and always entered before daylight at different places so I wasn’t able to head him off.
A tree branch reached out and snatched my arrow after shooting at a 7X7 380+ bull last week.
Oh well-- but this one used to be the big guy on the block at one time-- according to the AZ Game & Fish book it says from his teeth and width of his head he’s 9-1/2 to 12 years old. So he was well past his prime and on they way down the scale for size. He still has a lot of fight in him though— 5 of his 12 tines are broken from sparing with other bulls.

All three of us in our group took elk -- it was a good hunt if you are willing to park at 8900' and walk up to 10,000+ and pack them out by foot.

Attachments

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more pictures

Heres a picture of all 3- the one on the left is the largest taken by 18 year old Trevor -- me in the middle and Trevors dad Bruce on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,577 Posts
Please tell us you have pictures of the 8x8 or the 7x7...

D

·
0 Posts
tell you what MAGNOCKMAN...

...that looks and sounds like a Elk Hunt to remember:) ...

...pictures are great!!...

...and you can bet that 18 yeere old won't soon forget it either!!...man, that just brought another generation to the woods after he returns with the stories for his buddies and friends to hear!!:cool: ...

...good thing you old timers "let him have that one";) :D ...

...CONGRATULATIONS to all...

...and especially to TREVOR...that thing is HUGE!!:cool: ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nice BULL Story ;).... OH I MEANT...Nice Bulls and great story.. Sorry about that..LOL...Pro1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that sounds like fun!I am going to be puting in next year for archery elk.I sure hope I have that much luck next year.For right now I am going to be doing a lot of practicing and hunt some Javalinas and deer.Maybee I'll run into you one day.Best wishes on all your other hunts.:D

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone

:D
I wasn't going to mount it until I got a close look and saw the numerous battle scars and that kind of character with the age is a good conversation piece. He also has some huge ivory's that will look real nice on a belt buckle or bolo tie.
There are a lot of bulls just like this one waaaaaaay up high in the ozone where few hunters venture because most of them like to be able to drive where they hunt. That's why they live so long.

Skip--
I used only what I think are the best for long distance hunting;
Magnock and pin nocks
Magnum Ti Super pin
Carter release
GKF rest
Vortex Mechanical Broadhead (performs and flies flawlessly)
CAE carbon arrows
Spot Hogg-it sight
Doinker 12" stabilizer
Scent-Lok suit
I used a Hoyt Ultratec but any bow will do the job if set up right

Chase-
The guys are going out again this weekend with a video camera hoping the big bulls will be in full rut and fighting in the daylight rather than night like they have been. We can only hope!

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Congrats.

Congratulations on a great hunt.

·
Registered
719 Posts
good job guys i can only draem of doing that

runawaysXs:D

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Nice bull. I know how you feel about settling for a smaller bull. My 6x7 was a smaller bull too. This is the first year I haven't been drawn in Montana for 8 years.

I envy you and your buds while I'm sitting at home looking at pics of y'alls elk.

Any elk is a trophy with a bow.

Yours is exceptional.

Nice job once again. Good choice on your bow by the way:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Magnockman....Great looking bulls Grads....

You wouldn't want to share what unit you where in would ya

Thanks for the pics

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unit 7 East

These are nothing look at this--

World record elk taken in Williams Arizona

Here's the link;

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/

Scroll down and look for the caption:

Big buck caught by Valley hunter
A Peoria man, hunting south of Williams, broke a world record when he killed a 1,000 lb. elk with enormous antlers. Nick Franklin is doing all he can to protect his trophy antlers. He's worried someone will steal them, so he's hiding them, and no one knows where they are except for him.

Buck????? Hahahaha-- news reporters, sheesh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats Chris,
Nice looking bull. I'm hearing from a lot of friends this year that they have been successful in their hunts. Nothing like last year when everyone struggled to fill their tags (like me). See ya in couple of weeks at the next 3D.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys-

Johnny- I didn't know about the 3D coming up but thats a possibility since my bow is still ready to go. The strings are fairly frayed from 2 weeks of beating the bushes though. :(

Mel- I was planning on going to the FITA but I planned on getting this hunt over a week ago so I could install some new strings and cables for the Scepter III but I haven't had time to set it up. I used Vortex broadheads-- :D ***:D I know, I know who you rep for so don't yell but the price was right and they got the job done and worked flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts