Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
impatiently waiting
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this will be the first year carrying a pistol with me while bowhunting and was wondering how everyone carries. My issue is, i normally wear sweat pants under my camo coverall. Since it is a 1 piece suit i was thinking about a shoulder rig but all the ones i have seen attach to a belt. if there was something that attached with a clip like suspenders that would work. Also thought about the 5.11 tactical holster shirt but sometimes i wear a sweatshirt under my coveralls so the holster would get covered. Just wondering how everyone else carries their pistol while in the field and if any one had any suggestions for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I carry mine on my side. Easy to get to, and won't bother me sitting for hours.

Whatever you get wear it while at home, doing whatever around the house and see if it hinders your movement or anything. Try shooting your bow see if it gets in the way or changes your form.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wear a shoulder holster, as hip holsters were not always easy to get to, got caught on my stand, was inaccessible due to my outerwear, and a multitude of other things. I found shoulder holsters to be the bee's knees. Its up out of the way, easily accessable from whatever position I find myself in, doesn't catch on my harness, can be worn with any choice of clothing, for me its the best choice

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have a shoulder holster for my sw1911 and use a muddy harness and all fits well.
Also use a military thigh rig for the winter months when I'm dressed in heavy layers. It sits low enough on the thigh that is out if the way while sitting but still close enough to get to if needed.
As stated above where whatever type you get doing your regular activities and while doing your pre season bow practice. Where it while climbing to your stand whre it while practiceing with your bow in your hunting gear not shorts and flippy floppies in the back yard.

But always be safe with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I carry with an inside the belt holster most of the time , but have found it is rather uncomfortable with my saftey harness. I started using a galco ankle holster for hunting and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a inside waistband holster buts its made of fabric and small so i usually just make it a inside the pocket holster. If you wear sweats and have coveralls on you might want to go with a shoulder holster

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
we are not allowed to carry a firearm on us in bow season in Indiana I was told

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use a clip on holster. When I get to the stand, I put in my backpack. I only need the Judge for the snakes, so no need for it in the stand.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Ill have mine in my hunting backpack this year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It depends on what you will be carrying. I would carry my sig 238 a lot differently than I would my Desert Eagle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
this is one thing I need to start doing! my dad goes nowhere, NOWHERE without his trusty 9 on his hip (which is almost an essential part of your wardrobe, as well as a kevlar vest while working in downtown Memphis), but when he hunts he has a leg-strap holster.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
on my hip

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
the shoulder holdsters do much better than one on your belt since if u have a somehat heavy handgun it wont be such a hassle to carry.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts