Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of sitting on the ground and bow hunting, not in a ground blind but just sitting a/b 50 yards off the edge of a field on a bucket or in a chair. I think I may find a tree to climb, but I may not have time to set up the evening before, and I dont like the idea of getting out there at 430 and trying to find a tree.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
What do you guys think of sitting on the ground and bow hunting, not in a ground blind but just sitting a/b 50 yards off the edge of a field on a bucket or in a chair. I think I may find a tree to climb, but I may not have time to set up the evening before, and I dont like the idea of getting out there at 430 and trying to find a tree.

Don't sit on a chair or bucket. Use the brush and fallen tree limbs as your cover. Bring a cushion and place between your knees and sit down on your legs. That way you can rise, and draw if you need to. Have had deer within 5 yards from me and never know that I was there--fallen cedars add for great coverage! Good Luck!!

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I think this might be the ultimate way to take a whitetail deer, buck or doe.

I've done it only twice, one buck one doe and both were some of the most memorable hunts that I've been on.

I think the only way I could have made mine more challenging is if I was using a recurve or longbow.

I hunted on the ground and spot and stalk exclusively until about two years ago. Lots of sneaks, lots of close encounters but lots of failed attempts and few deer.

Every second of it was awesome!

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well

I have a 26 acre pasture that is growed up and there are Giant Weed patches, My dad jokingy said" they so dern tall I could hunt outa them" Well what the hell I will. Theres a/b 6 diff patches, on diff points of the field, like God is telling me to it here. Trails allover the place, Im already getting excited!!!!!!

· Registered
678 Posts
thats is how i have killed all my deer was from the ground, make sure as heck you are drawing when they are focused on something else or they will catch you every time.

· Registered
2,121 Posts
If you can get a hole in some tall weeds or cane with cover behind you and the sun at your back you can be almost invisible with nothing between you and the deer. Practice drawing smoothly without "skying" your bow. A smooth straight draw shows almost no movement from directly in front of you. If you miss your arrow may disappear under the grass.

· Registered
29 Posts
took my first archery deer from the ground on a stool. I backed myself into a cedar tree but cleared enough around me to draw. First time I drew I spooked them. When the does came back I had to draw VERY SLOOOOWLY but was able to take one. Ever since I have dropped the weight of my bow so I could draw back slow when needed.

But it is extreme nerves at their best. You have to try hunting this way at least once. A total blast!

· Registered
410 Posts
I'm still in college and I only hunt public land. I dont want to mess with stand because people may steal them so I hunt on the groun all the time. I think it's fun. Just remember, deer see about 320 degrees so be sure you, or they are behind a tree when you draw.

· Registered
325 Posts
i have shot 1 deer on the ground at 6 feet but there were 30-40 mph winds and i was in my gilly suit on a pile of rocks surrounded by sumack trees with a little opening but it was great.one other thing to do is to make sure you clear the ground under your feet,another time i had a really nice 10 point i was drawing on and as i moved my foot i broke a branch and he was out of there.but it sure is fun hunting on the ground

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Thousands of spot and stalkers do it every year!
Sure you blow lots of shots with movement....but hey that's part of the challenge/fun!

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
I done it so anyone can do it right! Got my first doe in IA that way cept I curled up into a small cedar and used it kinda like a blind. Spooked the first deer at 2 yards :eek: really it was 2 freakn yards away. Go for it heres a couple tips

Rake away all of the leaves and sticks you can so you are silent!
MAKE SURE you have a backstop behind you :wink:

and dont move!:)

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
Just started using a turkey blind this year, never been in a tree. Dozens of deer would like to tell you how well it works. But they can't!

· Registered
332 Posts
Most of my deer have been out of a stand but ive shot 10 or so deer on the ground without a blind with a bow and most of those have been within 15 yards.Of the deer Ive killed on the ground were 3 good bucks including My biggest buck to date I shot at 9 yards on the ground in 2001, there just wasn't a tree to get into.

You just have to wach your movement, and make sure you have good back cover its very easy to get picked off. And stay alert, in a stand many times you can see deer coming but that so often is not the case on the ground.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.