Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting a bear grizzly recurve...i am decent at shooting instinctive, so learning to shoot wont be too much of an issue, are they good bows, are they reliable...any common issues with them?

thanks....happy hunting

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i have a really old bear kodiak and it shoots great. bear makes a good recurve IMO for a good price

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a 1967 58" Grizzly off Ebay.Gave $125 for it and it looked like a new bow,no stress cracks etc.I've hunted with it this season ,it's a great shooting bow.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a 70's Bear Grizzly and love the way it shoots....

·
Registered
905 Posts
The first deer I took with traditional gear was with a 1960 Bear Grizzly. I can't speak for the newer bows, but I've got a 1960 Grizzly and Cub and they're both great shooters and very sturdy.

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
I have 2 Grizzly's
(1) 56" 50* built in 1969
(2) 58" 45* built in 1973

I love how both shoot & feel, IMHO you can't go wrong with a Grizzly.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would only suggest the following: try before you buy, find a comfortable weight and length, use properly matched arrows, do a little tuning, practice close until nature takes over.

Allowing prejudgment on purchasing something you are not familiar with may not be the wisest choice. You have to “learn to shoot” as you stated, so it may be the better choice to fulfill other criteria first. There are a lot of good bows available for short money that would allow you to trade your way to the next “upgrade.” Once you find the right arrow for a given weight you’ll have a foundation for future purchases…and having “test arrows” is always a plus.

I own and shoot several Bear bows, happily. They weren’t as available to me when I was younger, as they are now…nor were any other bows for that matter. But, I still own bows from the company that produced my first high quality bow…not in Bears’ price range…but not bettered at any price, IMO.

So, it’s not so much the name or even a high price that should dictate matters to the novice. It is only positive feedback that can fulfill the desire to stick with it. I have found that the only “common issue” with almost any bow…is me. Enjoy. Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
I shoot a 2009 Grizzly and love it..I also have a 70's model... 39 years later, the fit, finish, quality and smooth shooting is still there! Gitcha one!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am thinking of getting a bear grizzly recurve...i am decent at shooting instinctive, so learning to shoot wont be too much of an issue, are they good bows, are they reliable...any common issues with them?

thanks....happy hunting
I bought a used 55# Bear Grizzly back in 1975 for $12 at a yard sale. Last year I killed my 130th deer with it. It also took 2 Russian Boar, 3 Fox, 3 Turkeys, and a Bobcat. I now have three of them, but that one will always hang in a place of honor in my house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Back in the '80's we were fishing the AuSable River outside Grayling. We followed a sign for a yard sale, where I spotted a display model of a Bear Grizz. When the company was still located up there, every restaurant and store seemed to have a display bow. They were blems that had three arrows mounted in a flaring pattern on the string and riser. The one at the yard sale was even left handed- like me. The guy wanted $5 for it! No, I didn't try bargaining down! I removed the cheap arrows, filled in the tack holes in the riser- and ended up with a wonderful bow for five bills. Do I like my Grizzly? You bet!

Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts