Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that deer do not like clover after it gets hit with a frost or two. I planted some a few years ago and the deer ate on it all of the way through the winter. Was this a phenomenon, or is the frost thing a myth?

·
Ad Meliora
18,180 Posts
I would guess WV is similar to PA...drought seems to be the time deer won’t eat clover. Otherwise it is an always available meal....a staple of food plotting efforts for many.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Not trying to hijack thread but my hunting property just got logged out and some of the roads are down to just dirt from them pulling logs out. Is frost seeding a good way to get quality forage started in the spring? And if it is when is it the best time to start frost seeding? Looking at probably whitetail institute clover.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not trying to hijack thread but my hunting property just got logged out and some of the roads are down to just dirt from them pulling logs out. Is frost seeding a good way to get quality forage started in the spring? And if it is when is it the best time to start frost seeding? Looking at probably whitetail institute clover.
Get a soil sample done and follow the recommendations. Look at planting buckwheat in the summer to help build the soil. In the fall plant clover with a cover crop. Frost seed clover the following spring.

If you're set on BOB seed look at Antler King Fall / Winter / Spring with Trophy Clover or even Grandpa Ray's Inner Sanctum.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Get a soil sample done and follow the recommendations. Look at planting buckwheat in the summer to help build the soil. In the fall plant clover with a cover crop. Frost seed clover the following spring.

If you're set on BOB seed look at Antler King Fall / Winter / Spring with Trophy Clover or even Grandpa Ray's Inner Sanctum.
I have not had a sample done but I will say the soil is black and moist year around in the spot i'm considering. It's a wetland area along a creek approximately 40 yards off of the creek bank. I have planted rye and other grass type foodplots in there and they've done well. Now that they've logged it out there's a nice long clearing down through the middle of the area and was thinking a good stand of clover might just be what the deer need in there. My question is is it good to go ahead and do some frost seeding this spring or wait and put something else in there.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Depends on the area. They hardly ever touch it on my property. Hammer it on my uncles though.

·
UnBannable
8,195 Posts
They didn't touch the clover I planted until after archery when other food sources (acorns & apples)were gone. But when they hit it, they ate it to the ground.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have not had a sample done but I will say the soil is black and moist year around in the spot i'm considering. It's a wetland area along a creek approximately 40 yards off of the creek bank. I have planted rye and other grass type foodplots in there and they've done well. Now that they've logged it out there's a nice long clearing down through the middle of the area and was thinking a good stand of clover might just be what the deer need in there. My question is is it good to go ahead and do some frost seeding this spring or wait and put something else in there.
I would plant something else this spring and then plant the clover with a cover crop in the fall. Frost seed the clover the following spring.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Oats, winter rye and winter wheat are great where I hunt. I also like to throw in some chicory as well. I thinks it’s a solid mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I would plant something else this spring and then plant the clover with a cover crop in the fall. Frost seed the clover the following spring.
Just curious your reasoning behind this idea. What does it matter if its this spring or next spring?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Deer have their idea what to "browse" on... 4 years back the deer were hitting the apples as soon as they popped out now the last 2 years they only eat the Leaves off my Apple trees but rarely touch the apples right next to the leaves. as I have a game camera set up at this spot and have for 15 years. I emailed our DNR and he said that maybe there have had enough apples to browse on and need something other Like Clover. As for why they hit one Clover spot and not another could be how good the soil is as to growing better browse they will eat. I have not had much as results growing oats or wheat they rarely will touch them yet I heard they won't touch Winter Rye (Cereal) and I planted a 10 x 10 ft area and had deer in it day and night 8 years ago so now I plant winter rye every Fall as I do Winter Peas... This last year I planted Small Burnett which is to be a good one as well have a cam set up on it... To see it is to be good through the winter. Deer diet can change thru the seasons as to what there is available in and around you, like AG Crops (like Corn) once they get harvested they need another food source. And AG Crops are always being rotated so one year it could be corn the next oats or wheat the next another so that changes, so do deer and when and what they eat. This is why it is hard to say your plot is a Destination Plot as some call them. I just plant and add on to mine as to different clovers, rape, chicory, brassica and so on. I always buy my seed on year end clearance I never pay for the full price as most are overly priced especially WI seed. I find the seed from Tractor Supply as they want to move it, as well as Mills Fleet & Farm and Sportsman Guide. Does not matter if it is Evolved Harvest, Antler King, Tecomate or Whitetail Institute, I found the WI Fusion last year for 29.99 it was 34.99 at most other places. Some suggested it and I really did not see much as to deer eating it over the other Clovers I planted. As why I just buy what I can find at the Best Price seems the deer don't notice what brand it is. As for Winter Rye I just get it from an AG Supply 10 lbs for 6.00. But my plots are small...

And yet deer are in them throughout the year along with my fruit trees; Apples, Crabapples & Wild Pears but as of late eating the leaves and leaving the fruit.

Just what I have seen...
LFM

·
Ad Meliora
18,180 Posts
Just curious your reasoning behind this idea. What does it matter if its this spring or next spring?
For many of us, our experience has taught us that fall planted clover with grain nurse crop is the most successful. This allows the clover to get established without warm season weed competition. Then in the spring it can take off and get ahead of weeds rather than trying to get established and overcome weed competition.

The buckwheat planting would be optimal but not everyone is open to that idea.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts