Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on some form issues I have made some observations that I thought I would share. One of the challenges with my form (and those of other archers I watch) is keeping the front shoulder down. What I have found is that with a correct draw length this shoulder position is sometimes a function of grip. I have found that keeping the grip low with the pressure even with the radius bone in the foreram aids in keeping the shoulder in position (for me anyway) When I allow the pressure of the grip to ride higher on the thumb side of the hand the hand moves forward and the shoulder moves up. To get this pressure correct the back of my hand nearly faces me (sort of like making the "stop" motion with my hand.) I think the factory grips on some bows promote the hand to be more forward leading to shoulder alignment issues. Maybe I am just late to this epiphany but getting my grip correct and shoulder more stable has allowed more stability for me in the shot sequence. Thought I would pass it on to see if it would help others:wink:
NW

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
northwoods said:
While working on some form issues I have made some observations that I thought I would share. One of the challenges with my form (and those of other archers I watch) is keeping the front shoulder down. What I have found is that with a correct draw length this shoulder position is sometimes a function of grip. I have found that keeping the grip low with the pressure even with the radius bone in the foreram aids in keeping the shoulder in position (for me anyway) When I allow the pressure of the grip to ride higher on the thumb side of the hand the hand moves forward and the shoulder moves up. To get this pressure correct the back of my hand nearly faces me (sort of like making the "stop" motion with my hand.) I think the factory grips on some bows promote the hand to be more forward leading to shoulder alignment issues. Maybe I am just late to this epiphany but getting my grip correct and shoulder more stable has allowed more stability for me in the shot sequence. Thought I would pass it on to see if it would help others:wink:
NW
I would have to agree with you...just wait til you figure out how steady you can hold with your other shoulder parallel as well:wink:

·
(aka lug nut)
48,352 Posts
northwoods said:
NW
Very nice observations,
and thanks for sharing. Let's keep adding to the collection of ideas here on AT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts