Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Traditonal by Choice
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bow is cut past center. Would a Martin rest plate and a piece of wood work to Create a shelf to shoot of from. If not ill get experimental and try to carve a shelf for one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Intereating that you bring this subject up. I have a Jag coming and have been thinking about making a shelf myself. Either that or use a rest that will allow me to use vanes. I look forward to reading any ideas that get posted.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've built them up with wood, narrow stacked leather strips, and even Bondo...and then covered them with Bear Hair or the fuzzy side of Velcro. I also built a raised shelf on my Warf that took it to just below the plunger hole and then ran a brass screw through and padded the end....created basically an adjustable sideplate....an idea that I got from another forum member.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Could you make something out of the adhesive pads they sell for cushioning furniture legs? It's like heavy felt and comes in a lot of sizes, also easy to cut to whatever size you want. I'm not sure how far you would have to build out the sideplate, but in general you want the tip of the arrow on the outside of the string when looking from behind, arrow on the string bow at brace.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's pretty much the setup I was describing except I just added a very small round leather pad the same size as the head of the Allen screw.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Long Rifle writes:

""I've built them up with wood, narrow stacked leather strips, and even Bondo...""

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Any chance you have a photo or two you could share?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Temp. "jury rig" on 21" Hoyt Excel below:
e30shelfMd.jpg
e30shelfPQmd.jpg
Home built Hickory rest glued on with Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum, Martin rest used for temp. "plunger like" side stop (can be used as spare rest...maybe-->). The Martin rest is a buger to get threaded so to get one to work I went through three to get this done.
Later the port side of the shelf will be beveled for better clearance.
I own a Martin Jaguar with a Timber Doodle II rest. Yet I have thought of adding a shelf some what like this in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts