Votes: 29 61.7%
  • no

Votes: 18 38.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son is taxidermist/hunter..i proposed to him if i would be lucky enough to get a doe i would buy supplies.. he does mounting and we could share it...if works good do another (providyng i can still hunt) would it be a good or bad idea in everyones opinion to have him do a full body mount of a doe and then use it for a decoy...any thoughts?

as we usually only hunt our own ground and it wouldn't be in view during rifle
season or bow season or muzzleloader season.:wink: ..suggestions?:wink:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me; if you like decoys and want to spend the time and money to do the job. Heck, Roy Rogers had his horse "Trigger" mounted ... why not a deer decoy? Rumor has it Roy was considering the same honor for his wife Dale Evans when she passed on. :wink:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would be more for experience for my son as he has done 0 full body mounts as i have a decoy now
as far as cost maybe 100-150 hey its only money lol but my sons learning to do full body mount ....priceless .and i make get the next world record and want a full body mount
what ya mean by reread the poll?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I voted no because it is going to be heavy and shouldn't be out in bad weather. Those are the two things that would keep me from doing it. If your son isn't charging you for the work, the supplies won't cost too much.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we allready talked and he does work free for this.
also i would just put it in the double bull blind after hunting so weather and wieght (my boy says it will be lighter than a 3-d deer) is no problem....if in years it gets messed up somehow..he can either fix or use new doe hide...

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Not realy cost effective in my opinion.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
go for it

Why not?

If you have the extra $ and your boy wants to continue to sharpen and gain more skills, it's a great idea.

Nice guy thinking of his son's future.:)

I wounder if he could write some of it off as educational expence?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike Ryan said:
Why not?

If you have the extra $ and your boy wants to continue to sharpen and gain more skills, it's a great idea.

Nice guy thinking of his son's future.:)

I wounder if he could write some of it off as educational expence?[/QUOTE]

a novel idea......why noy uncle sam won't mind................much

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw a show on T.V here recently that used a full body mount of a turkey as a decoy. It worked great, but the guide said that it was a very expensive decoy. Later in the show he made a comment on how the wind, live Turkey, and transporting the decoy to and from the field had worn it out. I would imagine the same would happen with a deer decoy. Thats a really expensive decoy if it begins to fall apart after only half the season. With or without the money in the bank, it just doesnt seem like a smart financial investment to me when you have cheaper and proven successful decoys out there for purchase. Just my .02 worth. Good luck and please let us know if you decide to go through with it, what the results in the field are.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
To me it would seem that a full body mount deer decoy would be heavy and cumbersome. You wouldn't want to have to carry it very far into and out of the woods. Now if you were hunting a field edge where you wouldn't have to hike too far through any real thick timber it might be a good idea.

I'll vote yes, only for that reason. I've seen the effectiveness of full body mount turkey decoys and they'll blow your mind. I can only imagine that a full body mount deer decoy would do the same.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WA. Hunter said:
To me it would seem that a full body mount deer decoy would be heavy and cumbersome. You wouldn't want to have to carry it very far into and out of the woods. Now if you were hunting a field edge where you wouldn't have to hike too far through any real thick timber it might be a good idea.

I'll vote yes, only for that reason. I've seen the effectiveness of full body mount turkey decoys and they'll blow your mind. I can only imagine that a full body mount deer decoy would do the same.
as i posted earlier....
i would just put it in the double bull blind after hunting so weather and wieght (my boy says it will be lighter than a 3-d deer) is no problem....if in years it gets messed up somehow..he can either fix or use new doe hide...and do another...kinda like havin a trophy in the field with ya...and it would be MY BEST TROPHY considering my health issues. if my health goes south..i got a fullbody mount of it very cheap right? :tongue: :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts