Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently shoot a single pin HHA and I like the clear sight picture but I am thinking about switching to a 3 pin slider (Spot Hogg or Black Gold) to eliminate the need to dial on shorter distances but still able to dial longer distances. What are people’s thoughts on 3 pin sliders?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just got a double pin spot Hogg. Clean picture and gives the second pin option, or split the pins for mid range shots. I’m still getting it dialed in with my new bow. But liking that option so far. I got the 0.10 pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
3-pin would be a great choice for most hunting and a do-it all for some 3-D as well. I hunt above tree-line a fair bit and like a 5 pin BG Ascent Verdict as I don't like to dial when game is within my effective range. No issues with 5 pins (or even 7) but I've been using multi-pins forever. Do like 0.019" pins for old eyes though...0.010" are too small for me.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Pretty sure any company that makes a slider, will make you a sight with 2 or 4 pins. Most sliders, except Spot Hogg, are 3 or 5 pins. CBE made me a 4 pin slider. If you’re concerned about the sight picture, Spot Hogg has a two pin, as noted above, and I’m pretty sure you could order a two pin from MBG.

At any rate, sliders IMO are the best of both worlds. Can dial in at any yardage, and also have set pins for 20, 30, 40, etc

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I have a MBG 3 pin and really like it, it does give you the benefit of adjusting for longer shots. When practicing though you’re gonna forget to move your sight back after shooting 60 yards. Arrow, meet tree...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a big fan of the HHA Optimizer Lite Kingpin TE 3-pin coming from a single pin CBE. Like you said, I wanted to be able to eliminate the need to dial on 30/40yd shots but still be able to shoot out to 100yds. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I have a MBG 3 pin and really like it, it does give you the benefit of adjusting for longer shots. When practicing though you’re gonna forget to move your sight back after shooting 60 yards. Arrow, meet tree...
LOL, and I thought I was the only one! ;)

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I had a fast eddie XL, by the time I put a 5 pin head on it, it was far too heavy to be functional.
If you slide the dovetail in 1/2 way or more it will feel like it is half the weight of having it extended out all the way. The fast eddie xl is a long sight when it is extended out and it makes it feel much heavier than it actually is.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
LOL, and I thought I was the only one! ;)

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I sailed one over an 80-yard target on a field course after previously shooting 100. I couldn't believe how far it passed above the target. Seemed like 6 feet or more. My bow is not a speed demon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I shoot a 3 pin slider. Love it. The past could of years I shot a 4 pin slider CBE Tek Hybrid Pro. This year I switched to the Axcel Accu-touch 3 pin slider with a 41mm scope.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I shoot the axcel 5 pin slider (accutouch carbon pro) and love it.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Im not a fan of multiple pin sliders. It defeats the purpose of having an adjustable sight which is to remove clutter in your housing. I like the Axcel Accutouch because of the click system you can find your next yardage without having to look at your tape.

·
Savage
652 Posts
I have a 3 pin Tommy Hogg, I love it, to keep the sight picture as clear as possible i set the top pin to 20, the second pin to 35 and the third and rover pin to 65, in a hunting situation, i have the option to shoot out to 35 without moving anything to be quick. If I have time to dial it in I can do that as well, i find that to be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use a 3 pin tommy Hogg for hunting set at 20 30 40. and then dial any longer shots if needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I shot a 3-pin Ascent for a long time, added a 4th pin so I was good to 50, then I decided I may as well have a fixed hunting sight for hunting (5-pin BG Vengeance, 6" dovetail) and a single-pin for target. First it was a single-pin Ascent with dovetail and lens, then a BG Comp sight.

I think having a multi-pin slider is good for a hunter who likes to novelty-shoot long-range sometimes. I feel like I'm an above-average archer and I compete weekly but I don't want the temptation of taking shots past 60-yards even though many of my peers here think that's nowhere near their limit.

I missed a nice coues deer (then hit him but not mortally) at 40 yards last year. Unless conditions are perfect I can't imagine shooting any further than that on that size of target. Too many variables in the heat of the moment. I hit a lot of twelve-rings at 40-yards but I was really humbled after those bad shots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I really like my 3 pin CBE Tek Hybrid Pro as it covers most hunting scenarios (up to 40 yards) without moving the slider, and I can shoot out to 100 if I want to do some long distance practice.

The three pins don't bother me too much from a sight picture clutter perspective, but I would switch to a Garmin Xero if they were legal to hunt with in CO. I would love to have the ability to range at full draw and get the exact yardage that I need for the shot.

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
I bought the new axcel accutouch rheostat 3 Lin, I wuickly changed the head out to a 1 pin. I think they are great just not for me, I’ve found with my draw length and the speed that my Bow shoots it’s too much blue with 20-30-40 pin. Some folks may disagree and that’s ok, I have found what works for me is I find out what my Bow does at 15,25,35,45 and find a good medium and set my one pin lol and never normally move it. I may be 2 inches low and 2 inches high at some of those yardage’s but I try to figure out where to hold.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I like my Axcel Accutouch with Accuclicks 3-pin sight so much I bought two of them, one each for my primary and backup hunting bows.

I can change yardages without looking at my sight due to the Accuclicks, and if I am at full draw and an animal moves a bit, no worries. I have two more pins and the sight picture is not very cluttered at all. I use the 41mm sight as well to help in that regard.

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
In my opinion a 2 or 3 pin slider is the best hunting sight. Gives a clear sight pic and 9 times out of 10 in a hunting situations it won't need to be adjusted. But that 1 in 10 that you need it you can adjust for the longer shot.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts