Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I must admit that I have tried some of the new short fixed blade broadheads, and I love the way they fly. I'm speaking of slick tricks, rocky turbos, g5 strikers, etc. However...I believe that they could cause a deflection problem in certain circumstances.

Have you ever considered how much deflection would occur from those steeply angled blades if they hit a bone that was large enough that they couldn't slice through? In my preliminary testing it seems that they could easily deflect 8 to 10 inches or more in the span of 20 inches after deflection. This could result in a shot which impacted perfectly, but after the deflection would miss the far side lung on a large animal such as an elk. On a deer, a rib bone would probably just get sliced on impact, and it would have to be a larger bone like the upper leg or shoulder, but on a large animal like an elk or moose, those rib bones may very well be enough to create the deflection scenario.

Maybe a broadhead with a less steep blade angle and <eek> blades which would "give" a little on impact, but still hold together might be better. Maybe a muzzy 4 blade with the .020 blades are indeed the best combination for these situations.

Any thoughts????

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have had the same concerns. A longer tip would help a lot. It would put something in front of the blades to aid in stopping a skid. What I love about the Wasp SST is that you can lean it over, and the corner of the trocar tip will hit before the edge of the blade will. I would not hesitate to use them on any angle.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
This is kind of like the cart-wheeling mechanical broadhead debate.

I have yet to ever see a mechanical broadhead "cartwheel" on angled shots, even when really trying with extreme angles on hard targets. Similarly, I have never had any deflection or skipping problems with short, low profile fixed heads.

I understand the reasoning behind both arguments, but in reality, I have never seen either happen, nor have I been able to make broadheads perform this way on any of the test materials or game I have shot.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe the shot angle is the main factor. Picture a vertical steel rod in front of your archery target. (this would simulate a large rib bone of an elk or moose.) If the broadhead happened to strike that rod with one of the blades straight on, then it seems that one of two things must happen: a) the blade will bend/break to yield to the rod, or b) the head will deflect at the angle of the blade and the arrow will be deflected off course.

It seems to me that one of these outcomes would be inevitable, it's just what are the odds that the impact would occur such that the blade hit the vertical rod at a 90 degree angle to produce the most effect.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what the guy on BT reviews said about the Muzzy MX-4, which I am sure would have been the same story with any of the other super short steep blade angle heads. It's just part of the design.

This head plains off on contact

I hit the leg bone 2 times ...the elbow twice and I didn't get penetration

In fact...On all occasions the arrow shot wildly away from the bone and in one case was sideways to the leg itself.
As if it were laid over it !.

The most awesome display of deflection I have ever seen out of anything

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I had it happen to me two years ago with a Slick Trick. I was shooting down from 20' up at a deer 16 yards away. It was a pretty sharp angle and the arrow must have hit a rib and glanced off only cutting his side. Not good and I wasnt very happy to say the least.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to hear that it has happened to someone else. I believe that time will prove that these super short broadheads do indeed have some disadvantages contrary to what many people think. I know that my eyes have been opened to the deflection scenario. I've went back to the 4 blade muzzy as it flies good has a more moderate blade angle, and .020 blades which I believe would yield a little on a hard impact with a large bone instead of deflecting significantly.

Maybe one day someone will create the perfect broadhead.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I'm thinking of trying the Wasp Bullets so there is a longer leading point that may help with this problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used the wasp boss broadhead on game, and it has performed well. I specifically used it on deer and antelope with great results. I agree that the leading tip should help with the deflection problem. I'm not sure about using it on large game like elk and moose, but then again the boss bullet is only a 1 inch cut which probably will help more with deflection issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts