Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had this prostar for a couple weeks now and like it a lot . a couple years ago i was looking for one but finally bought a protec which i have nothing nice to say about it . then bought a merlin supernova but while it was a lot better than protec the 41 1/2 a to a was to short . this pro star is a lot like my provantage except HEAVIER mass weight . i would still like to try a barnsdale but don't see that i'll ever find a used one with long draw and low draw weight before i run out of years . in short prostar is all i could want in a bow......at least for now . . . .peace

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Big Cypress, glad that You got 'Ya a bow that shoots good for 'Ya...I have wondered for a while now, though, what it was about the Pro Tec that You didnt like??...Jim

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I lump the old Pro Vantage, Pro Star & Oasis all in the samp pile of "AWESOME" bows.

Keep the Pro Star until you find one that shoots better. Good luck with that. :wink:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have to agree with Boyd, great bow. I must admit I love my protec with cam.5. That thig just shoots awsome for me. I still have an Oasis I might sell due to too many bows. You should be happy with your new toy, Dan.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr. harperman , the protec was first bow i ever shot that had cams and i just didn't like the feel , also i didn't care for the tiny grip area . it had lx pro limbs which made a to a livable but i just didn't 'grow on me''. the merlin i finally sold had cams that were much 'smoother' but a to a was only 41 1/2 which i found i didn't like . both bows were nice bows for the right person but that wasn't me . the provantage and prostar are both 48'' a to a and have wheels which i'm more comfortable with . incidentally , i'm wondering if this prostar is only 50% let off is that possible??

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The Prostar only came with 65% energy wheel. If it is much more, then I'd bet it is short strung or someone has changed something.. All of the bows mentioned above are definitely finger superbows..... I shot my first 530 outside with a Prostar. My ***** about the Prostar is the grip and the physical weight......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pro-Star 50% wheels?

Uncle Gus is right on, the Pro-Star only came w/65% E-wheels, but they could easily have been changed. Look and see if your wheels have 2 axle holes. The early (mid-eighties) E-wheels were dual let-off units, 1 hole @ 50%, the other @ 60?... If you have the dual hole wheels and you change them to the higher let-off, you have to swap ends w/the wheels; top goes to bottom and bottom to top. The 50% hole has a 'T' or 'B' next to it, @ 60/65% (I can't remember which), the 'B' wheel will be on the top limb, & 'T' on the bottom. At 50%, the 'B' will be bottom, & 'T' on top but the letters will be hard to see, cuz they're close to the 50% hole (hidden by the limb). Then again, they could be back-rolled like Gus says, a longer draw (bigger) wheel, short strung to increase holding weight. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheels on provantage are 2 inch but wheels on prostar are 2 11/16 with two holes .currently t wheel is on top and b on bottom . if wheels are changed obviously they just go to opposite ends and don't flop . i don't know what this does to knocking point or peep etc. but they are easily moved if needed . any one know correct a to a and brace height . further comments please . ''fingerdog'' i tried to pm you but it doesn't work . greatly appreciate yours and everyones input ,merry christmas .

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
BigCypress,if you are looking for another Prostar I have one with Barnsdale limbs on it. It is not a shoot through system but could be converted with a new set of cams and shoot through harness. The limbs a re 50-60 lbs and it has the Hoyt 29" center draw cams on it. It is collecting dust on my rack. so let me know if you need another one. Ken

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Are the wheels on the Prostar a round on round wheel or does the take up side have an egg shape? If they are round on round, then they definitely didn't come on the bow. BH on the Prostar is 10" ATA is 47, but that isn't written in stone. I will tell you that I tried to raise the BH on mine to where the PV shot the best at 10 1/2 and it wouldn't shoot in a bushel basket.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'i bow2' no but thank you. i'd like to buy a barnsdale but other than that i'll never buy another bow .......................'uncle gus' not round on round ,definitely elliptical ...thanks for a to a and brace height .

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
"NEVER" that's just not right! :wink: Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pro-Star? wheels

Big Cypress; You've definitely got a mid-80's E-wheel set up in the 50% hole. If you want to change it to 65, you've got to swap ends AND holes so your axles are in the hole without the letter next to it. If you put a caliper on it, you'll see that hole's a little closer to the perimeter of the wheel than the one with the letter. The same cables and string will work to give you the same BH and DL you have now. My Pro-Star's got Fast-Flite limbs and Pro-wheels, so I can't measure it for you, but if i'm not mistaken, the Pro-Star's riser geometry is identical to the Pro-Vantage, & I'm w/Uncle Gus on BH, factory specs were 10 1/8, & I've got all 4 of mine @ 10 5/8. Just remember, the more you twist up the buss cables and string, the shorter your A/A gets. The ones I'm shooting right now are dead-on 47", so to get that extra 1/2" of BH, I gave up 1" A/A. Hope this helps.
:darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm always amazed at how much you folks know and how willingly you share your information ,i greatly appreciate it . my prostar has meridian limbs with current a to a being 46 3/4 and brace height 10 1/4 . thanks again......peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts