Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some new arrows and I'm thinking about putting reflective wraps on them this go around. I would think they would really make finding an arrow easier after dark. How well do they work? Are there any downsides to using them other than the extra cost and few extra grains of weight?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A buddy of mine uses the reflective DOT tape on his arrows. He cuts about a 1/4" strip and wraps it up near the nock of the arrow so that it is not so prevelant in the quiver/field etc...It makes finding them extremely easily using a flashlight after dark. That stuff reflects like crazy. He hasn't seemed to have had issues with it spooking animals which is good. Let us know how they come out.

·
Registered
11,797 Posts
I used reflective wraps for years, never lost an arrow.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
I wont deer hunt without them.

I use the reflective white GLO WRAPS available from LAS - they seem to be the lightest weight of them that I have found.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I just put little strips on my arrows and it sure come in handy the other night when I was packing out and after getting to my truck to find the quiver had fallen out of my pack. I don't think I could've found it without the reflective stuff

·
Registered
588 Posts
I too put a strip about 1/4" wide between the nock & the fletching. Stands out very well in the flashlight beam.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This sounds like a really good idea. I will have to try this.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,136 Posts
i too put a strip about 1/4" wide between the nock & the fletching. Stands out very well in the flashlight beam.
i wouldn't want any more than that.......not sure if deer would pick it out or not,with their eyes.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
i wouldn't want any more than that.......not sure if deer would pick it out or not,with their eyes.
They appear white unless directly hit by a light source AT EYE LEVEL.

These are similar to the stripes on police cars and fire trucks.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The only thing to I would really worry about when using reflective wraps, is that it weighs a little more then the regular wraps so it may SLIGHTLY.... effect your FOC...if any at all.. I highly doubt that it would though..

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought some reflective strips on eBay for under $6 and they should be at my door in a few hours. I'm thinking I'll cut them into 1/2 strips right below the nock and shouldn't weigh more than 2 or 3 grains. I'll post a pic and let you know how they end up working out.

Here's what they are:
!Bkg1Go!!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-CkEs+T,q!(EBL(14IwwDw~~_12.JPG !Bkg1Go!!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-CkEs+T,q!(EBL(14IwwDw~~_12.JPG

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use regular wrap(non-reflective) I would like to use the reflective stuff, but wonder about sunlight sitting in a tree....at certain angle it has to reflect. IMO, it's just one more thing to worry about when hunting. I would sooner try the lighted nocks vs. the wraps. Just my .2 cents

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use regular wrap(non-reflective) I would like to use the reflective stuff, but wonder about sunlight sitting in a tree....at certain angle it has to reflect. IMO, it's just one more thing to worry about when hunting. I would sooner try the lighted nocks vs. the wraps. Just my .2 cents
That's a good thing to consider. For my application I don't think it'll matter because I take the quiver off and hang it where the arrows are kinda hidden. I have a cheap piece of burlap behind my back that I tuck them under the corner of it. I like lighted nocks but the price really adds up for 5 nocks/battery's each year. I'm adding 1/2" but if someone wants to go to the extreme, they have these that are 5 1/2":

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/glo-wrap-arrow-wraps-carbon.html

·
Registered
23,619 Posts

The reflective properties will ONLY work at EYE level. Meaning, the light source MUST be from your eye level (about) to activate it's retro-relfective properties.

Here are some more pics - one in regular light, one with direct light, and the other in complete darkness, under my desk at work, with a camera flash aimed at them.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
The reflective properties will ONLY work at EYE level. Meaning, the light source MUST be from your eye level (about) to activate it's retro-relfective properties.

Here are some more pics - one in regular light, one with direct light, and the other in complete darkness, under my desk at work, with a camera flash aimed at them.
Those are sweet looking wraps. I wish Shrink Fletch came in reflective white.

·
Premium Member
26,835 Posts
Those are nice,im using Nap Quick fletch,But i want all white ones,i have the white wrap but with Orange and white vanes,Those white ones look awesome.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've used them for several yrs now and never had issue with them reflecting light and spooking deer. I hunt in an area that has big high palmetto and its so much easier to find arrows after dark. Havent lost arrow since I've been using them and I like the reflective wrap better than the lighted nocks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts