Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 TRX 40 Hamskea Axcel Bee stinger Doinker
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be fletching some Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos arrows soon and plan on using either Bohning Heat vanes or AAE Max Pro vanes. I’m having a hard time trying to decide. Many years ago we all usd 4” vanes and when the 2” high profile vanes came out I thought what the hell. Thought back then there was no way these small vanes will work. They soon became the industry standard. However we are having clearance issues with the 2” high profile vanes. That being said that’s why I am going to use either of the two previously mentioned vanes. Am I overthinking this. Need some help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Pierce Platinum's and I switched to the Boning Heat Vanes from fusions. I like the heat vanes. They are about the perfect size and stiffness and they stick very well. No vane prep.
I am shooting somewhere around 295 fps.. They spin the arrows just fine and are really tough. Plenty accurate out to 40 yards, that is the farthest I can shoot in my back yard.
I am shooting into a block invasion and it does not stop the platinum's very well. They often bury the fletching in to the foam. Not once have I damaged a vane or had one come off in at least 500-800 shots, and I have been using the same three arrows for a while. The only ones I have had come loose is in near robin hoods and they get hit by the arrow.
I got the blue and white. The blue did have several that were shorter than the others.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Flex Fletch 'Silent Knights' in 3" three-fletch. Killer steerage with fixed blade heads.

Don't tell anyone!!

·
Hunter of many things
12,122 Posts
I will be fletching some Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos arrows soon and plan on using either Bohning Heat vanes or AAE Max Pro vanes. I’m having a hard time trying to decide. Many years ago we all usd 4” vanes and when the 2” high profile vanes came out I thought what the hell. Thought back then there was no way these small vanes will work. They soon became the industry standard. However we are having clearance issues with the 2” high profile vanes. That being said that’s why I am going to use either of the two previously mentioned vanes. Am I overthinking this. Need some help.
What bow and what rest are you shooting. A lot of times clearance issues are a set up issues with your equipment. Otherwise i would rotate your nock a tad to say 11:00 before i switched vanes

All that aside i have the pro max vanes and they are nice but they are tiny little guys. I decided to hunt with fixed blade heads this year so i went back to a 1/2” tall vane. I would shoot them for 3d or target outdoor, but you need a very well tuned bow to shoot those imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
What kind of broadhead you are shooting may enter into this too (fixed or mechanical).
I just fletched up some Axis shafts with 1.75" FlexFletch vanes I had left over from my freestyle field shooting days..... four fletch at 90 degrees.
I'm curious to see how they will work with Rage's...

·
Registered
263 Posts
VaneTec V-Max vanes are lower profile than Blazers and come in a few different lengths. I've been using the 2.5" for a few years and have been very happy with them. I think it's a good compromise between height profile and length. As long as you have about the same overall surface area you should have about the same steering ability regardless of whether you get it from the height of length of the vane. You might want to give those a look also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got some NAP hellfire 3" low profile for the same reason. I could only find them in the "quickfletch" I read lots of good reviews about them. Haven't shot them yet, will update once I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts