Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hear a lot of complaints about our throwaway society. I have done it twice this year. Both times it was pure economics. I had a light in the garage that kept flickering (florescent). I replaced the bulbs on Monday; tonight the new bulbs were flickering. Went to Lowe’s for a new ballast for the light. The cost of the ballast, $22.58. The cost for the same size and wattage light fixture was $19.37. Yep, I bought the entire light instead of just the ballast. I do not remember the prices from earlier this year when I went to repair the screen door on the garage. I do know that I compared the price for the replacement screen and trim wood to a new door. You guessed it; the entire door was less expensive. It just doesn’t make any sense when you can purchase a complete item, for less than one repair part for that item.:confused:

· Registered
17,867 Posts
I hate it, and it makes no sense.
I also looked into ballasts. I don't think it was as bad as yours though. But I was at Menards and I figured on a ballast that I would be rewiring the light.

It's like they're charging extra markup so you can have the "joy" of fixing it yourself.

For me it does cost about the same to replace a head as it does to tip it, but that's because of the labor.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Printers are even more egregious of an example.

· Registered
17,867 Posts
Printers are even more egregious of an example.
You mean buy a printer with free ink for about the same price it costs to buy replacement cartridges?

I checked on the price of ink this time and made sure the printer would seal up when shut down so it didn't waste ink running through a cleaning cycle all the time and die from dog hair sitting unused.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
You're just seeing the effects of mass production and economies of scale. The free market brings us some great products at often amazingly low prices.

BTW - I haven't heard the term "throwaway society" in years.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

· Registered
26 Posts
It is the same with cell phones and batteries too. Buy a new battery for thirty or forty bucks or sign up for another two years and get a phone free. Makes no sense, other than they got a guarantee of business. Lots of things that folks deem disposable now. I figure thats the way most manufacturers like it.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
My dad used to say "If this is such a disposable society, how come we're having so much trouble disposing of it?" :confused::tongue::wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.