Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when shooting uphill, I tend to throw a lot of shots to the left. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
Does your sight have 3rd axis?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

My sight does have 3rd axis. It has been checked with a plumb-bob at full draw, which I know is not an exact science. I've been doing some reading about different methods of 3rd axis leveling that are more exact.

Are there any specific flaws in my form that could be causing this? And if so, how do I fix it?

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
3rd axis or, you are not paying attention to the bubble on the level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hows your anchor points? I had something similar going on, when I would shoot down hit, id like whack a leg of a target lol. I was then told I only had 1 anchor point, thus being my "kisser button". I was told to make adjustments to my form by kissing the kisser, and then turning my nose into the string. Now my shots not matter what angle are dead nutz. yes, I did have to move my peep sight about an inch, but I was more than willing to take a total strangers advice. Just food for thought. And on the bubble note, i was always told that is more of a reference point. Just shoot where u feel comfortble and check where the level is, if u start missing, check ur level and make sure its in its normal spot, not neccessily the (level) mark. If that makes sense. works for me.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Are there any specific flaws in my form that could be causing this? And if so, how do I fix it?
This is an indication of draw length just a bit too long. Maybe just 1/4". This is especially true if shooting BT.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry if I am pointing out the obvious here, but Do you draw level, then bring the pin up to the target, or do you come to anchor with the bow already pointing upwards towards the target? I used to do the later, and then someone mentioned I should draw level, then bend at the hips. This improved my accuracy greatly. Pity it didnt help with my distance judging though.

Leigh.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Foot Position a possible cause. Come to full draw on the target, close your eyes for maybe four or five seconds and then open them and see if your sight has moved to the left.
If it has, then move your feet til it doesn't...

·
Registered
50,331 Posts
It has absolutely nothing to do with the sight, string, or ANYTHING to do with the bow or arrow. It is all you, your changing your form slightly when shooting up hill and more than likely down hill also. When shooting up hill your locking your arm more to compensate for the angle, thus your actually drawing the bow slightly longer and torquing the bow in that direction. Same thing happens when shooting down hill. People tend to forget to use their waist when shooting up or down hill to keep the form uniform like when shooting level. Again it is all you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has absolutely nothing to do with the sight, string, or ANYTHING to do with the bow or arrow. It is all you, your changing your form slightly when shooting up hill and more than likely down hill also. When shooting up hill your locking your arm more to compensate for the angle, thus your actually drawing the bow slightly longer and torquing the bow in that direction. Same thing happens when shooting down hill. People tend to forget to use their waist when shooting up or down hill to keep the form uniform like when shooting level. Again it is all you.
Thanks for all the advice & I will take it all and run with it. Dale, your post in particular caught my attention because you have described what I can't. I can feel the extra tension on the uphill shots and I had a feeling it was me and not the bow. Downhill shots don't seem to bother me, of course it's naturally easier to lean forward that it is to lean back. I plan on setting one of our 3D targets for a steep uphill shot and practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Thanks for all the advice & I will take it all and run with it. Dale, your post in particular caught my attention because you have described what I can't. I can feel the extra tension on the uphill shots and I had a feeling it was me and not the bow. Downhill shots don't seem to bother me, of course it's naturally easier to lean forward that it is to lean back. I plan on setting one of our 3D targets for a steep uphill shot and practice, practice, practice!
I shoot with a very good semi-pro shooter and this was happening with him. Not on downhill's but left on uphills. If you are shooting BT it's better to have your draw length slightly shorter. That's the only thing that worked for him.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
If it was simply a 3rd axis site problem, you would be shooting out the other side on downhill. You may be pulling harder on the uphill shots. Check foot position like Unclegus said too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts