Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy AT!

What features should I be looking for in my first thumb activated release? Any particular brands and models you'd suggest? I've hunted solely with a index finger activated wrist release and currently use a Tru-Fire Hardcore.

This release would be for hunting. I plan on getting more involved with 3-D after this hunting season.

Additionally, any insight into changes with form or anchor when moving to a thumb release is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,789 Posts
For quality get ready to drop $150+.

Get something with a lot of adjustability so you can figure out how you shoot it. This pretty much says Carter, Stan, Truball, Scott, and a few others.

Get sized right. Find a pro shop because some styles will have sizes on them.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Before you go blowing a load on one to see if you even like them buy a decent one and try it for a while. The TruBall Max Pro 4 is made well and will not kill your wallet. If you have very large hands then either the TruFire 3D Hunter or Edge 4 Finger are also good handhelds. All of these have rotating caliper heads similar to many wrist releases.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Buy some through the classifieds here to try out. Good brands are that I've used are Carter and Truball. The difference you'll see between high end thumb buttons is the feel and fit. Some have a more rounded handle and some more flat where your fingers go. Also, size will be something to get right for your hands and whether they have a straight handle or a curved handle and which you prefer during shooting with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great input thus far, thanks! I have medium sized hands.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Be careful it's addictive. I went throug about 7 until I settled on 2 I like. however i shoot better than I ever have.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Go with Truball for your first entry level release... you wont be let down.. it will last you a long time, and you can learn a lot from it with out breaking the pocket, so you can continue to save for that release you really want..

·
Registered
18,210 Posts
I went though 4-5 before i settled on the hot shot tempest. Fits my hand best and a great release. Way overlooked imo

·
Registered
898 Posts
Great input thus far, thanks! I have medium sized hands.
Get a Stan in medium size. Don't go buying a bunch of releases. Stan is only one you need. Adjustable trigger and thumb position. Quality is second to none. Great customer service behind them too.

Scan classifieds on here. You can find them from about 150 to 180 ish. Then all you have to do is decide 3 or 4 finger.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
IMO, once you switch you won't ever look back. If you are a hunter look for one that can be attached to your loop and left. It's a life saver when you are up in a tree. Especially if your "special" like me and choose to go with a black loop, shooting in low light conditions. Plus it's just easy to grab, draw, and shoot. I use a Trurfire Hardcore 4 finger, and love it. Paid $140 for it at the beginning of the year. But try aa many as you can, find one that feels right for you, and shoot on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll start my shopping.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
Stan shoot off

can be lock on the d-loop for hunting

want for a anchor just below the ear to anchoring at the lower part of the jaw bone

·
Registered
262 Posts
Go to a shop try a bunch then buy on AT or eBay. I went to a Scott core for hunting. Shoot a black hole for 3d and target

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I bought a scott exxus and liked it well enough that I thought I would start shopping for the "perfect thumb release". SO, I hit the classifieds and after eight releases and over a thousand dollars later I am back to the exxus, and couldn't be happier. Love this release!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts