Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I was wondering how the majority of thumb release users activate their release. I would like to know how you guys do it.
Not how you would like to activate your release, but how you actually do it.
I am not interested in the way you have read or been instructed to use the release, but how you personally, actually activate the release during the shot.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Draw to anchor, site in, preload the trigger and start pulling. Its very important to have the trigger set heavy enough so when you preload you wont set it off and to be able to "curl" your thumb around the thumb post.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Draw to anchor, site in, preload the trigger and start pulling. Its very important to have the trigger set heavy enough so when you preload you wont set it off and to be able to "curl" your thumb around the thumb post.
+1 I do it like that. Execution through pulling.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I rock the release in to my thumb. Squeeze with my fingers and keep my thumb in place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent fellas, that's two methods.
Pse and moly, do you just pull or do you concentrate the pull to the thumb?
Hoytkiller, that's the way a lot of people trigger a back tension release, nice.
Any more?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Excellent fellas, that's two methods.
Pse and moly, do you just pull or do you concentrate the pull to the thumb?
Hoytkiller, that's the way a lot of people trigger a back tension release, nice.
Any more?
At the anchor I place my thumb snuggly around the barrel, but keep it relaxed. I then increase my pull against the wall. I keep up the push pull push pull and see the spot i wish to hit clearly, the pin is unsharp and not so important. The shot will go off and surprise me in the ideal case. I am working to get to the point where I am surprised every shot. I try to relax the release hand and pull with my elbow.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I shoot like the others, after you preload and start the rest of your shot sequence. Your concentration goes 100% to aiming and you shouldn't even need to think about the release again, it will just go

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
Pull back, set thumb on barrel, make final target acquisition, begin easing pressure on the index finger while pulling through, then off she goes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pull back, set thumb on barrel, make final target acquisition, begin easing pressure on the index finger while pulling through, then off she goes.
Me too. I have to have a relaxed index finger because i have to have a pretty heavy trigger

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have been teaching myself to shoot a thumb release.

I come to anchor then wrap my thumb around the post and then just start contracting my back muscles and it fires.

·
stay calm pick a spot
3,110 Posts
i shoot mine a little different i have a carter just b cuz and have it set very light and crisp, i try to shoot it as close to my hinge style back tension as possible i lightly place my thumb on the lever not the peg and start standard back tension and it goes oh so smooth for me.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I bury mine down into my hand so the trigger is deep down in the meat between your thumb and index finder.

I draw to anchor and start concentrating on pulling with my ring finger....essentially it takes my back to do this. The weight transfers and the shot breaks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Would I do. I draw anchor, put thumb on the thumb rest and start pulling with my middle finger.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Carter Target 3

I use an extension and barrel with my Target 3 so that I can move the pressure point of the barrel to an insensitive area of my thumb. For me.. i didn't like having the barrel near the tip of my thumb and didn't like wrapping my thumb around the barrel. That just didn't work for me.

Now i just rest the tip of my thumb on my index finger... and pull the release back just like my 3 finger stan (hinge). Once settled, I shoot it just like my stan. I use back tension and never think about my thumb or the release itself. the friction of the barrel against the lower part of my thumb increases and eventually sets the release off. Because this is a very insensitive area of the hand, the release is always a surprise.

I've also been practicing with the method I saw on GRIV's instructional dvd where the hand slightly relaxes and allows the release (barrel) pressure to increase to set the release off. That is a horribly simple explanation so please look on GRIV's dvd for a complete explanation and video of what he means.

I have very long fingers and hands so you could probably do this without the extension if you have normal sized hands.

Here is a picture of the release in my hand so you can get an idea of what i'm talking about.

Good Luck!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent stuff fellas. It seems that regardless of how the release is triggered, the common thread is that the release is a surprise. I know everyone knows this but it was good to read several methods of performing this.
Thanks fellas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts