Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of any sort of comprehensive compare/contrast video, any buying guides, etc. to help narrow down the thumb release market? I tried searching on here, but all relevant threads are no longer available.
Stan has an OK compare feature on their site
Nock On only has the 1 option, so not too many issues there
Carter has 18 different models!? Where to begin

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not seen any solid comparison videos but i have tried several at my local shop and just my preference but the carter wise choice was the most comfortable for me.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
If you purchase a Stan PerfeX. it comes with enough accessories and adjustments that you can set it up to match nearly every other release on the market. I just bought one and love it.

Automan

Reactions: JPR79

·
Back Yard Champion
28,205 Posts
If any feature to look for it's adjustability. Those with a cocking lever normally have better adjustment.
Most perfer a 3 finger hand release whether a thumb release or hinge.
There are those with longer hookup lengths. You have to decide what you want - this can have you shorten the draw length of your bow - not always, but then d-loop length can be played with.
For those I've tried the mediums are very close to the same and no doubt the largest seller. I much rather have one too large than too small...........
Look to where the neck blends to handle. Some unduly spread the index and middle finger.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I own most of the current offerings of thumb and resistance releases from Carter, Stan, Tru Ball, Scott and a few other companies (B3, Scott, Hot Shot, Tru Fire). I purchased them to make holsters for them, but it also gives me the chance to compare and evaluate them.

If you have any questions about a specific release and how it compares to another, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to cover as much info as I can.

At some point I'd like to design a guide similar to the Stan website with printable cutouts of all the releases I own. I just need to find the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all--I shot traditional for many years (OL Adcock takedown with 2 sets of limbs, 47 and 54#) and after rotator cuff problems sold the Adcock (sniff) and got a Bowtech Destroyer 60-70#, too heavy for my 77 year-old shoulders, now using Mathews CHILL SDX at 47# with wrist cuff release. Would like to try a 4-finger thumb release---recommendations, please and thanks. Shooting Easton 5mm FMJ 500's, 4-fletch.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Hi all--I shot traditional for many years (OL Adcock takedown with 2 sets of limbs, 47 and 54#) and after rotator cuff problems sold the Adcock (sniff) and got a Bowtech Destroyer 60-70#, too heavy for my 77 year-old shoulders, now using Mathews CHILL SDX at 47# with wrist cuff release. Would like to try a 4-finger thumb release---recommendations, please and thanks. Shooting Easton 5mm FMJ 500's, 4-fletch.
It really depends on your budget.

If money is no object, I'd recommend the Stan Perfex Long Neck Heavy Metal.

If you want a less-expensive option, then I'd recommend the TRU Ball T Rex Bone Collector.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I went through about a dozen thumb releases bought used on AT or fleebay... before settling on my Carter Target 3. Also deciding between 4 vs 3 finger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It really depends on your budget.

If money is no object, I'd recommend the Stan Perfex Long Neck Heavy Metal.

If you want a less-expensive option, then I'd recommend the TRU Ball T Rex Bone Collector.

THanks, just the sort of helpful post I needed!! Just watched a Youtube video review of the T-Rex, looks good.
That Aussie shop owner Stephen posts a a lot of excellent reviews. 2 things I'm lo0king for-- a release that has a lanyard so I don't have to keep it in my jacket pocket, and a swiveling head to eliminate sting torque.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Geeze, I just went to the Carter website and my security software (AVAST PREMIUM) saved me from
"an infected website". I forgot about this, saw it earlier today. Can one get this info to them, without leaving yourself open to some kind of malware or corruption??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's the info from my firewall:

"Infected URL: Choc-Lite
Threat: URL:Mal
This URL contains malicious code that could harm your computer.
If you’re willing to risk it, you can turn off your Avast Web Shield to continue.
But we strongly recommend walking away from this one."

Wonder if Carter is aware of this??? Probably not.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,205 Posts
THanks, just the sort of helpful post I needed!! Just watched a Youtube video review of the T-Rex, looks good.
That Aussie shop owner Stephen posts a a lot of excellent reviews. 2 things I'm lo0king for-- a release that has a lanyard so I don't have to keep it in my jacket pocket, and a swiveling head to eliminate sting torque.
All well and good I suppose, but it burned me to shorten my bow 1/2" to use one the long neck hand held releases. Both are 4 sale and they look new and not one offer...........

·
Registered
626 Posts
Here's the info from my firewall:

"Infected URL: Choc-Lite
Threat: URL:Mal
This URL contains malicious code that could harm your computer.
If you’re willing to risk it, you can turn off your Avast Web Shield to continue.
But we strongly recommend walking away from this one."

Wonder if Carter is aware of this??? Probably not.
May I suggest...

Download a Linux Mint live iso, burn to usbstick, boot to it and remove yourself of any virus warnings from some 3rd party windows app flagging links, instilling fear due to RBLs.

Your PC won't get any malware, virus or the likes, I promise.

FYI, I have one release, Wise Choice, and it was.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
My pleasure .

As for a release with a lanyard attachment and a swivel head, most of the currently available models have a spring-loaded jaw that opens when you press the thumb barrel and closes when you let off the thumb barrel in a "rolling" fashion. Those are the TRU Ball Max Pro, Tru Fire Edge, TRU Ball Max Hunter, and possibly the Tru Fire Hardcore (though I'm not totally sure since I haven't handled one). The Tru Fire releases have a hole for a lanyard, while the TRU Balls have a system called the "V Lock" which hooks into the release and attaches to a buckle-wrist strap.

There is another release called the TRU Ball Boss X , which has apparently been discontinued, that has a sear-based trigger that uses a cocking button that cocks the trigger and closes the hook. The trigger is pretty crisp for a double-action release, and if I had to choose a release with a swivel head, that would be my pick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My pleasure .

As for a release with a lanyard attachment and a swivel head, most of the currently available models have a spring-loaded jaw that opens when you press the thumb barrel and closes when you let off the thumb barrel in a "rolling" fashion. Those are the TRU Ball Max Pro, Tru Fire Edge, TRU Ball Max Hunter, and possibly the Tru Fire Hardcore (though I'm not totally sure since I haven't handled one). The Tru Fire releases have a hole for a lanyard, while the TRU Balls have a system called the "V Lock" which hooks into the release and attaches to a buckle-wrist strap.

There is another release called the TRU Ball Boss X , which has apparently been discontinued, that has a sear-based trigger that uses a cocking button that cocks the trigger and closes the hook. The trigger is pretty crisp for a double-action release, and if I had to choose a release with a swivel head, that would be my pick.

Thanks! I looked up the Edge on Amazon, and there were a lot of feedback posts which mentioned premature firing. Dangerous...The TRU Ball releases have good reviews on Youtube.
I am leaning to Carter or Stan, although they do not have the 360 head feature, as they are reputed to be the best made with the best materials. T.R.U.Ball a good less expensive choice, yes??? I don't want to go down a rabbit-hole of buying one release after another, prefer to get one that will be the last one, unlike the way I bought compound bows this year (Diamond Infinite Edge Pro, sold to buy Bowtech Destroyer, sold to buy Mathews Chill SDX, which is working out well). My local archery shop (Seattle) is The Nock Point, they are generous about demo-ing gear, and there's a Bass Pro Shop which has a good archery dep't. And a Cabelas which is a good distance away (I live on a small island in Puget Sound, (Vashon Island) so am ferry-constrained. What's a 20-minute trip for city residents is a 2-hour haul (or more) for me. I wish I had not sold my OL Adcock back around 2008!!! I shot it well until a rotator cuff problem caused me to hang up archery for 12 years.Lust fpor elk meat got me back into it this year. I just looked up the TRU Ball BOSS X, looks like Cabelas has it for $200. The Maxx Hunter has both the rotating head and a lanyard and a thumb lever instead of the barrel shaped thumb bar, next time I'm in the city I'll see if I can try one. Sorry for taking so much bandwidth--I'm going batsh*t from this at-home quarantine!! There's a site called Farmstead which has the Boss X for $170, and a release from TRUBall called "The Incredible" that looks interesting. So many choices!!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Thanks! I looked up the Edge on Amazon, and there were a lot of feedback posts which mentioned premature firing. Dangerous...The TRU Ball releases have good reviews on Youtube.
I am leaning to Carter or Stan, although they do not have the 360 head feature, as they are reputed to be the best made with the best materials. T.R.U.Ball a good less expensive choice, yes??? I don't want to go down a rabbit-hole of buying one release after another, prefer to get one that will be the last one, unlike the way I bought compound bows this year
I don't have any experience with the Tru Fire Edge, so I cannot attest to its reliability.

If you're dead set on a release with a rotating head, then the Boss-X is what you want to go for. I don't personally think it makes a difference (I've switched between my Boss X and my Stans and Carters, and I don't get any better results with a fixed head versus a rotating head), and I shoot as short of a d-loop as I can tie.

If you can convince yourself that the rotating head doesn't matter, the Stan Perfex can be that "last release" you buy.

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,976 Posts
Another vote for the Stan Perfex just because of customization. It's expensive yes, but you can make it fit you no matter what. I'm probably picking up a Perfex Resistance soon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I went through about a dozen thumb releases bought used on AT or fleebay... before settling on my Carter Target 3.
Almost identical steps for me settling on Carter Target 3

·
Back Yard Champion
28,205 Posts
Sonny, thanks---do you mean shorten your draw 1/2"???
I had to use 28.0" mods instead of my usual 28.5" mods. And then play with the length of the d-loop to get my normal anchor point. Like I can live with a draw length 1/8" short, but a 1/8" long it gets iffy......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts