Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to try a thumb release. I like the functions of the Carter wise choice. I will probably hunt with it if I like it. Are there other models that have the same functions or you would recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I was in the same predicament past 2wks. The Wise Choice and Chocolate Addiction i feel would be the best choice for hunting. Mainly cause it has the simple locking & enclosed mechanism. One press of the button and that's it. Unfortunately i wasn't able to find one in my budget $100-$120. The few good deals that did come up on Carter releases, even the ones i wasn't looking for get snapped up quickly here. Luckily for me i found a guy today who posted on FB that he was getting rid of his old archery stuff. I asked if he had any carter releases or arrow making equipment. He just so happened to be a former President of the local archery club who had retired from competing a decade ago. He had a bunch of older stuff 10-20yrs old that was just collecting dust. But i was able to pickup 3 slightly older Carter releases for what i would have paid for one new carter release. Only reason i was willing to spend the extra money was because i was getting 3. None of them are the simple locking, but 2 are enclosed so i can leave'em on the D-loop while hunting. I can learn to live with an extra step to close 'em. Right now i am currently disassembling and cleaning each. Best of luck

·
Back Yard Champion
29,774 Posts
Stanislawski Shootoff. Proven in competition as well as hunting. Jaw closes to hang on d-loop. Lots of adjustment and for thumb barrel also.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,117 Posts
Stan SX3.....I tried a few others before I found the SX3 and have been shooting them for about four years now. One turned into a second turned into a third, so I can keep one in my hunting bow case and also my hunting pack as a back up....plus my daily shooter.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
Like everything else in archery tottally personal preference. I like one that has a swivel head. So for me it is TruBal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Give the Scott Archery Pursuit a shot. Best mid priced thumb release I personally shot. Great adjustments for the trigger, also it's position. Comes with an extra finger extension to make it a 4 finger release. I like mine set up as a 3 finger release. Jaw does close, and hangs on d loop. I like it so much, I bought a second one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,795 Posts
Give the Scott Archery Pursuit a shot. Best mid priced thumb release I personally shot. Great adjustments for the trigger, also it's position. Comes with an extra finger extension to make it a 4 finger release. I like mine set up as a 3 finger release. Jaw does close, and hangs on d loop. I like it so much, I bought a second one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
x2 for the pursuit! picked one up brand new in the classifieds for $120 and love it. had a hot shot vapor i picked up used for like $50 and it wasn't bad but not near as crisp and clean as the pursuit

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stan SX3.....I tried a few others before I found the SX3 and have been shooting them for about four years now. One turned into a second turned into a third, so I can keep one in my hunting bow case and also my hunting pack as a back up....plus my daily shooter.
I just bought a sx3. Im not sure ill hunt with it because I have to push the button then manually close the jaw. I do a bunch of spot in stalk where I can't hang it on my loop.. im also looking for a simpler release..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered a Nock2It. Been using the silverback for a while but think in a hunting situation I want the thumb release.

·
Registered
24,117 Posts
I just bought a sx3. Im not sure ill hunt with it because I have to push the button then manually close the jaw. I do a bunch of spot in stalk where I can't hang it on my loop.. im also looking for a simpler release..
After you have done it a thousand times, it is second nature and very easy to get on the loop. When I stand hunt, I often leave it hanging.....but at times when it is very cold I will leave it in my pocket and have killed deer by hooking it up quickly.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, ill be hitting the classifieds....don't want to spend top dollar to try one out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just bought a carter Chocolate 3 finger. I don’t have much time on it but I seem to like it more than the tru ball wrist strap I’ve used the last year. That being said it’s also my first thumb release so I have no experience past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Don't know about others, but I have two Stans - a 4-finger SX3 and a 4-finger Perfex and both work well for me. The Perfex has a bit of a hair trigger and I like that. Pushing the button to lock them has become second nature to me - I don't even think about it. I have a paracord tied to them so that they dangle from my wrist between shots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts