Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched to a thumb release and love it. I bought a cheaper Tru ball 3D hunter about a month ago, since I liked it I thought I would up grade. I bought a Hot Shot Tempest from the classifieds and it looks brand new. I took it out to shoot it today and it hit 8 inches to the right every time. Why is it so much different then my other release? My 3D hunter and my wrist strap (carter 2shot) were all the same, is it me or is it just how it comes off the string. I made sure my anchor is the same, my string lines up the same and my arm isnt bent any different. I'm left handed could this be why?

I have been a backyard shooter for many years and I have just recently started shooting 3D and I'm loving it so I'm trying new things to find what I like. I think I like the 3D hunter more. Is that strange or should keep I try something else? Dose anyone else like the 3D hunter over the more expensive ones?

Any input is welcome!
Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
I get a similar effect when I change from my Scott Mongoose to my Silverhorn or my Carter Thumb release. I chalk it up to the way each release:

A) Releases the string from it's jaws, and,

B) Slightly changes my anchor, and the slight torque it may impart because of the anchor.

I would imagine that B) is the greater influence of the two. Try to be very conscious about how your anchor pulls or pushes the string at full draw. If you experiment a little with the anchor position, you may be able to get the POI to be the same, or very close to the same with all of your releases.

cricman

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I was thinking it was how it leaves the jaws but it could be due to torque. I did do a check over evey time before I pulled the trigger, just thought it was off alot more then expected.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I shoot the tempest too, and I shoot to the left with it compared to my x-tacy or my wrist strap. I not only do this with the tempest but any thumb trigger release. I agree with cricman completely .

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
on each release the handles are different, therefore the spacing between each knuckle from handle to handle is goint to be different, effecting impact. Also unless the distance from the handle to the jaws of the release is the same, your going to have to tweek your loop length to get the same anchor point....or well close to the same, since I just stated that your knuckes will be spread differently between the two handles you own. You can't interchange releases and expect the same impact point.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
I get a similar effect when I change from my Scott Mongoose to my Silverhorn or my Carter Thumb release. I chalk it up to the way each release:

A) Releases the string from it's jaws, and,

B) Slightly changes my anchor, and the slight torque it may impart because of the anchor.

I would imagine that B) is the greater influence of the two. Try to be very conscious about how your anchor pulls or pushes the string at full draw. If you experiment a little with the anchor position, you may be able to get the POI to be the same, or very close to the same with all of your releases.

cricman
on each release the handles are different, therefore the spacing between each knuckle from handle to handle is goint to be different, effecting impact. Also unless the distance from the handle to the jaws of the release is the same, your going to have to tweek your loop length to get the same anchor point....or well close to the same, since I just stated that your knuckes will be spread differently between the two handles you own. You can't interchange releases and expect the same impact point.
Yep...agreed. I've had similar results although with different brand of releases.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yep, will verify that your POI changes anytime you change releases- the slightest difference in your setup matters. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it can even change POI 3-4" at 20 yards - weird.

Question for guys that use thumb releases: Do you hunt with them? I still have a caliper release that I got in 2004 - thumb better for hunting, or stick with what I know?

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Either is fine but sticking with what you know is critical. If you want to switch to a thumb for hunting you'd better have put in enough time with it that shooting it is second nature. A hunting situation is no time for a surprise or an oops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts