Archery Talk Forum banner

thumb release.

535 17
Im looking to switch from finger release to a thumb release. i see 100 of options, i dont want to spend more for one than a bow but i am looking to try one out. I am also assuming my anchor point is going to change.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
I just recently bought a 4 finger thumb release from truball the max pro i paid around $115 for it and love it will upgrade later on to something a bit nicer. Did take a little getting used to and had to adjust it out of the box it was on a hair trigger but wound up punching myself in the face a few good times turned it up a little on the sensitivity of the trigger and have been just fine since.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just recently bought a 4 finger thumb release from truball the max pro i paid around $115 for it and love it will upgrade later on to something a bit nicer. Did take a little getting used to and had to adjust it out of the box it was on a hair trigger but wound up punching myself in the face a few good times turned it up a little on the sensitivity of the trigger and have been just fine since.
did it seem to help with any accurac.

· Registered
67 Posts
To me yes it did alot. I always had trouble with target panic and punching the trigger on a regular finger release. Only thing I had to change was how I draw my bow back and did that just to be on the safe side because of punching myself in the face 4 times. I know draw straight back to my shoulder and not my face like I used to and bring it up into my anchor point. It does feel a bit odd at first seeing as your know using your fingers to pull it back and not your wrist but didn't take long at all to get used to it.

· Registered
68 Posts
I use a truball fang 3 and love it. Where I have the thumb button set I don't actually punch it. I let off pressure with my index finger and use it like a back tension release. They will run about $120.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Back Yard Champion
35,916 Posts
Im looking to switch from finger release to a thumb release. i see 100 of options, i dont want to spend more for one than a bow but i am looking to try one out. I am also assuming my anchor point is going to change.
Yes, you anchor differently with a hand held release. More than likely your peep height will need adjusted. Depending how you anchored with your index draw length may need corrected, some say short and some say long. Most of the time adjusting the d-loop length will correct the draw length of the bow to fit you......

I don't care for thumb releases that don't have a cocking mechanism of some type. They don't have the adjustment like those with a cocking mechanism.

If not in a hurry watch the Classifieds and possibly pick up a good one for 1/2 price of new price.

Personal preference is noted by many. For me Stan thumb releases are great, which I'm fond of the Shootoff.

I don't care for any of the long neck versions.........

· Registered
35 Posts
I went to two different shops and both let me try all they had (3-4 options apiece). Neither had Stan or upper end tru ball so I can’t compare against those, but I walked away with a carter wise choice. It’s my first thumb release

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.