Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm wanting to try to switch from index finger strap style release to a thumb trigger. There are so many options it is confusing. I'm looking for one that I can clip to my d-loop and leave it there for hunting. I also am unsure of size. I have small hands but sausage fingers. I'm used to really nice rifle triggers so I would love the trigger to be crisp. What are some recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Try to find a deal on a Stan Just series. They're discontinued from my understanding, but i have two of them and I'm extremely happy. Very crisp break and zero creep.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Best I've used is a Stan. The SX2 and SX3 are great release aids. Adjustable trigger to get zero creep and a super crisp trigger. New, they run in the $200 price range. But you could find used for cheaper.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
try as many as you can before buying. I wanted to go thumb and ended up hating it. a buddy let me try his hinge and I haven't put one down since. I'll still go back to a wrist strap for hunting but anything else is a hinge.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Carter Target 3 or 4

Tremendous amount of adjustability for comfort.

Very robust and hangs on my “D” loop safely while in the stand

·
Registered
616 Posts
Carter nock 2 it or a Stan sx3 would be great for hunting. You just have to make sure that you can still get a good anchor point while hunting in a tree stand in cold weather(I.e. multiple layers and possibly a face mask). That’s the challenge that I have faced, but it can be done with some practice.

·
formerly 3drcher48
5,864 Posts
Try some for yourself. But make sure you try the Truball Blade. Crisp and quiet!

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Try to find a deal on a Stan Just series. They're discontinued from my understanding, but i have two of them and I'm extremely happy. Very crisp break and zero creep.
There is a reason they are discontinuing the Just X Series, they had a lot of problems when they went away from the SX/Shootoff style sears. I had 3 and they all had problems after a month, kept sending them back for repair (thats why I had to have 3) some were always in the mail. Get a SX (straight) or a Shootoff (curved) Stan has a nice overlay on their website that you can compare all their releases

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Stan Shootoff, SX2 or SX3.
The question is 3 or 4 finger and size of the release.
Sooner or later I'm going to pickup a "heavy" version.
I also prefer the larger barrels from ex-okie on here. They truly complete the package.

·
ChickenBob 60X
1,336 Posts
Try some for yourself. But make sure you try the Truball Blade. Crisp and quiet!
2nd on the Blade! They also have a new one called the T-Rex Bone Collector.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,939 Posts
Stan Shootoff.......

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I use Carter 1st Choice

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
2nd on the Blade! They also have a new one called the T-Rex Bone Collector.
I,ll 3rd it. Blade Pro,,..all are expensive and u should try as many as u can. cocking and fireing in your hand dosen,t tell u anything. u have to actually fire release with your bow. ALL top of the line releases are very very nice, Right now I,m shootin the Blade Pro and really like it,,,I had several stans and found that all the thumb adjustment drove me nuts trying to find the sweet spot,,, not so with the Blade and my other favorite Carter TWO Simple,,which has same internals as the stan SX2-3.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I shoot a Stan Shoot Off & Scott Sigma, have a Tru-Fire C-4 I carry for a backup.
I would suggest size large unless you have very small hands. They will hang clipped on your Dloop but bump the trigger & its off.

·
Hunter of many things
12,118 Posts
Stan. They have open finger beds for your big-ole-fingers. With your fingers I would stay away from releases with the closed index finger.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
1) Stan shootOff and SX-3. I have been using ShootOffs for everything for some years now with no issues.
2) Tru Ball Blade
3) A bunch of different Carters.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Stan ShootOff, keep in mind that they run a little small. I suggest to try one first for fit. You can`t go wrong with a Stan!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts