Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got thunder heads the other day. I haven't shot with them yet and i want to know if they will shot the same as my field tips.Help me out.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
not likley. Those suckers can be a pain to tune.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just picked some up last week and there were similiar, but not exact. Kinda wishin' I would have gone with the muzzy's though. No particular reason really.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my t= heads shoot with my feild points @ 40 yrds ,

·
Registered
306 Posts
I shoot them and if your bow is tuned and arrows are spined correctly, they will shoot right with your field points.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I shoot them and if your bow is tuned and arrows are spined correctly, they will shoot right with your field points.
100% correct - if your bow is tuned correctly it will shoot the same.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
They are good until about 30 yards. They hit the same if your bow is properly tuned. But after 30 yards they get a little off. I like them and have used them for 7 years now

·
Registered
566 Posts
I used t-heads for awhile but I switched to muzzys. Much tougher, eaiser to use, and to tune

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have shot Thunderheads for over 10 years. My pro shop in FDL, WI (Dutch's - same place where the 30 pt buck was just registered) always have had me new bow tuned perfectly when I purchased them. My Thunderheads have always and still do shoot dead on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been shoot'n Thunderheads for 20 years & have never had a problem.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
273 Posts
i get my thunderheads to shoot well to 70 yards, but i dont have a speed bow and i spend months tuning my bows. the broadhead will shoot exactly like a field point depending on how well you can tune a bow and shoot it. ALL broadheads well, if someone says otherwise i can guanrantee they either dont know how to properly tune a bow, just choose not to or do not have the facilities to really bring the most out from there bows. the only x factor in broadhead accuracy, or any accuracy for that matter is you. but a general rule, find out how far your can make pie plate groups, broadhead tune out that far then minus 10 yards and you get your effective hunting range.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Probably not...

However, check out the sticky above, "Broadhead Tuning Day Today." Follow that procedure and they'll do just fine. I shot Thunderheads for years and shot them accurately out to 70 yards (I used to hunt Coues deer in Arizona and New Mexico). I switched to Slick Tricks about three years ago, primarily for durability reasons.

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
When properly tuned, a bow should be able to shoot thunderhead tipped arrows just as good as any other broadhead. I have shot thunderheads, along with several others, for several years w/o any problems. It's a matter of making sure your bow is in tune first, then tuning your setup for the best flight possible. They really are great hunting heads and are less expensive than most of the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
My relative shoots them out of his crossbow. Its a Stryker @ 415fps. He shoots alot of deer with his Farm Tags. He wont touch another head. He just screws em on and shoots deer. Amazing how well a 78 yr old man handles that HEAVY Arse Crossbow.

Thunderheads have taken Alot of Game........ Still around.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My take on Thunderheads after shooting them for about 7 years. They are sharp as heck, great blade angle and cutting surface, tough enough for any deer, fly good enough if your bow is tuned, your arrow speed is not too fast, and there is no significant wind. My problem with thunderheads was on windy days. The large front blades tend to steer the arrows on windy days. I would recommend keeping a mechanical in your quiver just in case the wind picks up. YMMV!

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
With a properly tuned bow, YES. If your bow has ANY tuning issues you will find them with a t-head. I use T-heads for all of my tuning excercises!

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I've shot them for as long as I can remember and mine fly just perfect but then my bow is very well tuned also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts