Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... i opened my pack of 100 grain thunderheads today and out falls this little red paper that says i need to use ubars for my carbon arrows.What exactly is the purpose of the ubars?What will hapen if i dont use them?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
j_man78, UBAR`s, short for universal broadhead adapter rings, are needed with thunderheads on some carbon arrows. Not all of them.

With thunderheads, the broadhead has to be completely seated to lock the blades in tightly, and with some carbon arrows the inserts are not deep enough to allow this without the help of a UBAR.

I use thunderheads on Beman ICSH 400 series carbons and have never needed UBARS for a good lockup.

Hope I explained that OK?:D

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I bought a box of the Thunderhead 100s for Carbons and they came with the UBARS. Same broadhead but they just come with UBARS. As for me personally...I think the UBARS aren't worth worrying over. I screwed them into two diff carbon shafts that I have, Easton ACC 3-60s and Carbon Impact Fat Shafts and the UBAR still didn't really help do anything...other than get in the way.

I've not used them as of yet but Easton makes adapters for broadheads just for their shafts...so that might make a better difference for letting the ferrule of the broadheads align with the arrow insert.

I know the Thunderheads are a good head but there was just a little too much extra time involved in tuning with that rubber O ring. I made a move to Rocky Mountain broadheads and am REALLY liking their Snyper & Advantage heads. They align perfectly with my shafts without any adapters.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The purpose of the UBAR is to allow the O-Ring to seat properly on the smaller diameter carbon shaft. Without it, the O-ring has a tendancy to hang over one edge of the insert and cause the head to not sit correctly (wobble). The UBAR just gives a larger shoulder for the ring to sit on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes

Peta will come and kill your sorry @ss...........If you don't use them..........:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts