Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thunderheads are the only broadheads I want to hear about here.

What experiences have you guys had with them on bone, good and bad?
I am particularly interested in the 100 grain and 125 grain.

Also, any experience with them on axis arrows, blade rentention problems?

·
Registered
88 Posts
About two years ago I shot a doe at 15 yards with a 100 grain Thunderhead. She was broadside, and well aware I was there. Anyway, I shot her directly in the shoulder, it went through her heart, and broke the other shoulder as it exited. She ran all of 10 yards. That being said, I was shooting an aluminum arrow, and I didn't get a complete pass-through. The arrow itself broke in half, the broadhead itself was in good condition. That's the only time I've shot a deer with a Thunderhead. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A buddy of mine shot a doe 2 years ago, slightly quartering away. Went completely through chest and on exit, it completely severed the other front leg just below the shoulder. They are wicked good BH's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
silverback said:
Thunderheads are the only broadheads I want to hear about here.

What experiences have you guys had with them on bone, good and bad?
I am particularly interested in the 100 grain and 125 grain.

Also, any experience with them on axis arrows, blade rentention problems?
i use 100gr on axis arrows and the blade retention is great but i dont use the UBARS(the blades broke at the tip when i used the UBARS) i use eastons broadhead adapters and never had one break now

·
Registered
303 Posts
about 10 years ago i shot them almost exclusivly and loved them. I was shooting the 100gr and only hit major bone once. Shot a doe standing 25 yards or so broadside. Shot her from the ground and at the shot she leaned back a bit to take off and I hit her square in the shoulder. It blew threw her close shoulder bone through lungs and out the other shoulder sticking in a tree behind her. She made it all of 40 yards before falling for good. after carefully digging the head out of the tree it was in great shape. Granted i was shooting 80lbs with a 2413 easton shaft. They hold up very well.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Between my dad and I we've killed a lot (30 +) deer with thunderheads 125 gr. All of these were on aluminum arrows, going around 230-235 fps. None of the shots were over 20 yds, most were less than 15.
4 Spines. Only one split between the vertabrae, the other 3 smashed and stuck in, needing the bone cut to get out. They had bent ferrules and blades afterwards but no lost or broken blades. I needed to unscrew all of the heads to get the arrow back. None of the blades ever fell out upon doing so.
3 thick part of the shoulder bone hits, 2 completely smashed, one just busted off a chunk of bone. Nothing bent or broken on the head from these shots.
2 flatter part of the shoulder blade hits. Heads where in fine shape, and passed completely thru the deer, and out the bottom. Left clean holes thru the bone.
And I guess I can throw these 2 shots in, with the heads punching out thru the breast bone of the deer. No issues with damage to the head.

the only odd thing we saw from a T-head once was the last time my dad killed a deer with his bow. The shot was 13 yds, almost completely broadside, maybe the slightest away angle. Upon entering the rib cage the arrow hooked and ended up thru the deers heart. From the entrance hole to the heart, the deer would have had to be at an extreme away angle. I have no reason to not believe him when he said it was broadside, also from the trail which the deer came on, they come out broadside. So that was a weird thing. His bow was pretty old and slow shooting log aluminums, 2219's.

Hope my experiences help.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Silverback,
I have a few experiances I can share. Last year I shot a 3 1/2 yr old buck, as I shot he turned quartering to me. It entered through the front shoulder and lodged square in a rib oppsite side cracking that. On the video you can hear the bone crunch and see there was no suppuort from that leg. I shot another buck a few years ago extremely quartering away it went through and out his chest. Last but not least the hogs only slow them up a little. I'm not sure how they compair to other broadheads as I have never shot any others but maybe some one could give input on that if you want it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I never had a problem with Thunderheads and bone. Used the Pro Series 100 grain on 2315's. I did have isolated problems with blade retention which was due to compression of the O ring, which resulted in blade loss. Always gave me clean kills though, even when I lost a blade or two. With carbons you absolutely need the UBARS.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have never shot a deer through a bone like the shoulder with a bow. But all I ever used is ThunderHeads. I did make a complete pass through on a deer 40 yards away with about a 53lb bow about 2 or 3 season ago. They have awesome penetration. They are easy to tune and fly great. They are very accurate. I think N.A.P makes the best broadheads out of anyone. I would definately get some thunderheads, and you get 6 per pack for around 30 or 35 bucks and with mechanicals and other fixed blade you get only 3 per pack for the same amount of $$$$. great broadheads.

·
Registered
580 Posts
silverback said:
jim, what size axis are you shooting, is the small end of the UBAR larger or smaller than the arrow
i'm shooting the 400's --yes small end of ubar is larger than axis
Is the ferule on the 100 and 125 the sam, just different blades,
i shoot both
the 125 is about 1/16 longer (and fatter)than the 100 (the base of the 125 and the 100 are the same dia.) the blades are longer on the 125 also

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have killed a few deer and elk with the Thunderhead 100. I don't know why some people dislike this head. I hit a doe at 30 yards through both shoulder blades once. It was my second deer with a bow and I had the shakes. Anyway, the arrow was trashed. The broadhead kept all its blades, but did break the rear support on one blade. I replaced it and the other 3 dull blades, and still use that head today. I shot a bull elk at 15 yards, and clipped the side of his shoulder blade with one blade of the head. The head stayed intact, no damage. I also spined a spike at 10 yards, and had no damage to the head. These heads are cheap, come in 6 packs, have some of the sharpest blades in the industry, and when used correctly, read with UBARS on carbon shafts, I have never had a problem with blade retention. They are a good solid head in my opinion. Yes there may be better, but for the price they are hard to beat, and they are plenty strong to do the job.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys

jim those broadhead adapters look like they really beef up the shaft.

I was pleased with the accuracy of thunderheads when I shot them before, but I became skeptical about their bone breaking capabilities.

Perhaps I was using older ones. I think I will try a pack of 125s.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Killed maybe 100 head of game with Thunderheads mostly Thunderheads 160s. They do OK on bone Never had a blade lost or come out on live game. Broke one blade but it was a 30 yard run on a red Deer stag so I guess it worked OK.

What is your point Sir?

Bear shot with Thunderhead 160 this last May in Alberta
Quick Spins on an Axis 340 Thru a Whisker Biscuit 65# ConCept bow with 99% let off Bear ran 30 yards Pope & Young Score 18 12/16"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.