Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

What do you use to make the correct adjustments ? Limbolts or Tiller ? Because when I measure the Tiller and the Limbolts are complete turnd thight, the upper and lower Tiller is not the same. It misses about 0,5-1mm.
Should there not be the same when the Limbolts are complete turnd thight ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Depending on how you want the bow to tune. Some guys slow down the upper or lower limb to get a certain feel or to keep arrow trajectory a certain way. If you do not have a reason for tuning your tiller then you should keep them even. There is lots of info on
"Tiller Tuning" just google it.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,746 Posts
What cam system, single of dual cam? Single cams should be measured by a string running axle to axle. Tiller is sometimes hard to measure and most could care if out 1/16". If fact, I can't remember measuring tiller on my last few bows. Not having a problem I don't go looking for one ;)

You adjust tiller with the limb bolts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a Hoyt Vantage Elite plus and a PSE X-Force HF. BOTH Bows have a different Tiller when the Bolts are thight up. Thats what I mean - should I trust the turns on the Limbolts, or trust the Tiller to make it even ? I thought, that when the Bolts are complete tight up, that the Tiller also should be the same, but it is not.
I measure the Tiller from there where the Limbs leave the Riser out to the String in a right angle - correct ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks, but I still don´t know what to use ??? The Tilleradjustment, or the Truns of the Limbolts ? I know, that I could tune the Bow with adjusting the Tiller, but that whose not the Question. The Question is why is the Tiller different when the Limbolts are tight up, and what is to use ? Because when the Limbolts are turned different, then they have also a different tension - right ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Many times you will get limbs that are not exactly the same, one may be weaker then the other; therefore you must set your tiller using the limb bolts. Hope this answers your question.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
OK thanks, but I still don´t know what to use ??? The Tilleradjustment, or the Truns of the Limbolts ? I know, that I could tune the Bow with adjusting the Tiller, but that whose not the Question. The Question is why is the Tiller different when the Limbolts are tight up, and what is to use ? Because when the Limbolts are turned different, then they have also a different tension - right ?

Hello bogenfreak:

The limb bolts control how much bending we have at the limbs, at the ends, where we have the axles.

So,
tiller really
is a measurement of the limb tip bending amount.

So,
if we set the turns to the maximum,
on the limb bolts,
then,
we have maximum bending at the limb tips, at the point where the axles run through the limb tips.

So,
if you relax one limb bolt,
say 1/4-turn,
say 1/8th turn
say 1/16th turn
say 1/32nd turn...

when you relax one limb bolt,
then,
this ONE limb will relax slightly,
this ONE limb will unbend slightly,
and
when the limb unbends slightly,
then, the axle through the limb tip will move,
and if we are talking the TOP limb bolt,
so we are talking the top limb...

as the TOP limb unbends a tiny amount,
as the TOP limb unbends a medium amount,
as the TOP limb unbends a large amount..

the top axle will RISE
and the horizontal measurement (tiller) will change,
as you relax the limb bolt.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
It is a Hoyt Vantage Elite plus and a PSE X-Force HF. BOTH Bows have a different Tiller when the Bolts are thight up. Thats what I mean - should I trust the turns on the Limbolts, or trust the Tiller to make it even ? I thought, that when the Bolts are complete tight up, that the Tiller also should be the same, but it is not.
I measure the Tiller from there where the Limbs leave the Riser out to the String in a right angle - correct ?
No.

That will NOT work.

You ASSUME that the cams for the Vantage Elite Plus (top and bottom) are mirror images.
They are NOT.

You ASSUME that the cams for the PSE X-Force HF (top and bottom) are mirror images.
They are NOT.

Much better to take some dental floss
and wrap around the top axle,
and then stretch tight
and wrap around the bottom axle.

The limb lengths ARE identical.

The penetration of the limb tips for the axles, are also identically installed.

So,
since you want to measure LIMB bending,
then,
you must find two identical reference points on the TOP and BOTTOM limb,
which would be the location of the top axle and the bottom axle.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
@spike camp

How does "ATA Measurments for Tiller" work ? I never heard of that before.
What spike camp said was...
"Cam & 1/2 system tiller should be measured from AtA too."

So,
what he means,
is for your Vantage Elite Plus bow...

measure tiller to the AXLE, and not to the bowstring.

Use a length of dental floss,
and wrap tightly around the TOP axle,
and
stretch
and then wrap tightly around the BOTTOM AXLE.

Now,
measure tiller.

ALL hybrid cam bows (bows with a yoke cable..a cable with 3 end loops)
have the TOP METAL rotating THINGY...NOT the same shape...ON PURPOSE
as the BOTTOM METAL rotating THINGY.

ALL single cam bows (bows with a yoke cable and a round idler wheel on top)
have the TOP METAL rotating THINGY...NOT the same shape...ON PURPOSE
as the BOTTOM METAL rotating THINGY.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still one thing. How should I wrap this Dental Floss around the Axle ? There is now space there, because of the choke Cable. Do I get there something wrong ? Also why Dental Floss, and not serving Material ? Did I understand you right, that the upper and lower Cams are not the same, and thats the Reason why I can not measure Tiller to the Bowstring ?

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
Still one thing. How should I wrap this Dental Floss around the Axle ? There is now space there, because of the choke Cable. Do I get there something wrong ? Also why Dental Floss, and not serving Material ? Did I understand you right, that the upper and lower Cams are not the same, and thats the Reason why I can not measure Tiller to the Bowstring ?
On the end of the axle,
you could wrap around the plastic bushing.

Any thread or string material will work fine.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts

·
Back Yard Champion
29,746 Posts
Whew! I hope you got it. Like I said and meant for you, if you don't have a problem don't go looking for one. In the simplest terms, nothing about archery is concrete excepting in shooting and finding out. All specs are general, ball park if you will. In other words, identical bows may have to different atas and same draw weight and so forth. One factory rep informed me ata can be as much as + or - 3/8", but try to hold this far closer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts