Archery Talk Forum banner

Time for a new bow

844 29
I sold my Mathews SQ2 today and will be getting a "new" (gonna buy used more than likely) bow before this October. I only deer hunt, really don't use it for anything else. I know it's not a decision you guys can make for me, but I need to narrow down my options. I've always shot Mathews, but I'm really not partial. Mathews and Bowtech are at the top of my list right now. I know Bowtech and several others don't list specs for their older models on the web page, so I'm not able to research them there. I'm going to start going by all the local shops and shooting bows, I just need to have a general idea of what models I wanna look at. I really like the shorter bows (the SQ2 was 31 inches, wouldn't want much longer than that). I'd like to have something that I could comfortably shoot a deer at 50 yards with. I'm a 28 inch draw, and about 65 pounds pull. My main consideration right now is a DXT or Reezen 6.5 (Reezen will be more money and longer, not sure I like that, but will at least shoot it before I cross it off). Any suggestions? Thanks!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
As you pointed out this decision is all up to you. I'm partial to my '07 Bowtech Guardian and I'm sure an '08 Guaridan would be just as good. I'll say that my Guardian is all-around the best bow I've ever owned (again just my opinion). The new Admiral is a little too short for my taste but a lot of guys like that. Also, my dad just go a new Hoyt Alphamax and it is really smooth. No real experience with Mathews.

Those are just a few thoughts. Shoot all the ones you're interested in and you'll know when you find the right one.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Yah..you just gotta shoot a variety and go with whats comfortable to you. If you are truly wanting a fast flat shooting bow I would highly recommend shooting PSE gx6, Hoyt AM 32, Elite GT500, Bowtech 101st. Good luck...let us know what you pick.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I shoot an X-Force 7 and for what it is worth I absolutely love it. If you are interested in going that route, you could try out the TS or SS models (Tree Stand and Super Short). I shot the SS, and really liked it, however, I needed a longer ATA than that one could provide me. I am not a brand superfan by any means, but I would check out a PSE before eliminating them from the mix. Lots of good bows out there that will work for you. Good luck,
Bud

· Registered
171 Posts
narrowing it down

You'll be able to cross a lot of bows off the list simply by having your short ATA length requirement. Your draw length is about average so you won't have to worry about not fitting the majority of bows. Also, your 65 lb. draw weight is common. You have also listed that you are mainly interested in Mathews and Bowtech.

Do you have any other concerns, such as?

Speed
Comfort
Handshock
Cost
Durability

If you added some specs. for these items we could help you narrow it down some more. However, my recommendation to you is this:

1. Go to the shop
  2. find the short ATA bows
  3. shoot them - ALL or as many as possible

I recently went through this bow selection process. I shot a lot of new bows. There are a lot of great bows out there this year. However, the bows that toped my list were as follows.

• Bowtech Equalizer (draw length max is 27.5" - too short for you)
  • Mathews Hyperlite (short ATA, lightweight, smooth draw cycle, etc.)
  • Hoyt AlphaMax 32 (32" ATA, smooth draw cycle, comfortable, durable)

I've also heard a lot of positive things about the Bowtech Admiral. Many folks like the Elite brand as well. I wasn't able to shoot any of the Elites. Also, don't rule out PSE. The Bow Madness is a great bow for the price.

I ended up choosing a used 08 Equalizer that I purchased from a fellow AT'er. I have a short draw length so it fit me great. It was the most comfortable and smooth bow that I shot.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to AT.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. I just said I've mainly looked at Mathews and Bowtech, I haven't crossed anything off the list yet. I've been out of the scene for a while, but have shot for several years, just haven't kept up with new equipment. My SQ2 is the newest bow I've ever shot, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'll start by saying what I didn't like about the SQ2. The arrow drops a good bit, I.E. 20 to 30 is a big difference. Also, it is loud. A friend has a Drenalin. When shooting, you instantly hear the thump. With my SQ2, there's a big delay, The IBO on the SQ2 was 305 fps. I did like the length, but I don't care to go up an inch or so (I'd say 33 is the max, although that may change once I shoot them). Also, the Drenalin was flat. My friend uses one pin out to 35 yards and one for anything above that. So I guess speed is a big issue as well. For instance, I've looked at the Bowtech Admiral. Specs seem great. However, I'm sure they have an older version or at least a comparable older model, I just don't know the name since they don't list the specs online. I have also looked at the Alphamax 32, it's definately on the list. I'm hoping to get a used bow for $600 or less. And finally, it MUST be durable. I'll be toting it through the woods and such, and I will not be getting another bow for several years (been probably 10 years since I've had a new bow). Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the input.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
Hoyts are very durable bows I haven't shot but really like how the AM32 looks and felt holding it. I would probably go 1. Bowtech 2. Hoyt 3. Elite 4. Martin 5. PSE 6. Mathews. I have never been a big fan of mathews but own a switchback. Like I said that is my list but yours might be the opposite. I would not forget Martin they are a good buy (great bang for your buck).

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Thanks to all. I just said I've mainly looked at Mathews and Bowtech, I haven't crossed anything off the list yet. I've been out of the scene for a while, but have shot for several years, just haven't kept up with new equipment. My SQ2 is the newest bow I've ever shot, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'll start by saying what I didn't like about the SQ2. The arrow drops a good bit, I.E. 20 to 30 is a big difference. Also, it is loud. A friend has a Drenalin. When shooting, you instantly hear the thump. With my SQ2, there's a big delay, The IBO on the SQ2 was 305 fps. I did like the length, but I don't care to go up an inch or so (I'd say 33 is the max, although that may change once I shoot them). Also, the Drenalin was flat. My friend uses one pin out to 35 yards and one for anything above that. So I guess speed is a big issue as well. For instance, I've looked at the Bowtech Admiral. Specs seem great. However, I'm sure they have an older version or at least a comparable older model, I just don't know the name since they don't list the specs online. I have also looked at the Alphamax 32, it's definately on the list. I'm hoping to get a used bow for $600 or less. And finally, it MUST be durable. I'll be toting it through the woods and such, and I will not be getting another bow for several years (been probably 10 years since I've had a new bow). Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the input.
if you go with the alphamax, get the #2 cam as it is about 10fps faster than the #3 cam. People have been reporting around a 330-335fps ibo for the #2 cam, which for how great it shoots it is a killer bow.

Also you probably wern't shooting carbon arrows in the past, probably some old heavy aluminums, if you get some carbons in the 350-370 range you should be able to get some good speed.

Put my alphamax through the chrono today and got 282 @28" (#3 cam) with a 385 grain arrow set at 64lbs. I also had weight on the string(peep, d-loop, bowjax), which this would put me over ibo listed speed. Plus if you used the #2 cam you might get an extra 10fps, for a total of 290ish (and a lighter arrow you could easily hit 300fps) At 70lbs I was shooting 294fps with everything else the same.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
Forgot to add you said $600 or less. I bought a NIB Bowtech 82nd Airborne In velvet for $550 in the classidieds.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was shooting Beman ICS 400 Camo Hunter arrows. I've had my eye on a few of the 82nd Airbornes, really wanna shoot one. What does it take to get the #2 cam instead of the number #3?

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Check the classifieds here on AT...I will NEVER NEVER NEVER again buy a new bow. The classifieds are such a great deal if you are a patient person. Just look for exactly what you want, and someone will have it for you. Just give it time. Good luck with your search.
Bud

· Registered
3,016 Posts
I am going toe get this - Mathews Hyperlite just ordered it to day. but I also have a pse fire storm x very light and short 29 ATA shoots like a dream just not that fast. The DXT and Hyperlite are the same bow just a weight and cable rollers are dif is all. I think the Hyperlight is cheaper as well unless you go used. I had a 06 Allegiance and I loved it other than it was heavy. It could spit some arrow out at amazing speeds 275 400grn arrow and a 27 inch draw, very nice. Good luck

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Check the classifieds here on AT...I will NEVER NEVER NEVER again buy a new bow. The classifieds are such a great deal if you are a patient person. Just look for exactly what you want, and someone will have it for you. Just give it time. Good luck with your search.
Bud
Great advice

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I've got until October to get a bow, so I'm in no rush. I'm gonna go by the local shops to try them out, find what I like, then sit back and be patient. Thanks!

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I shot most of the Bowtech models, I was very disappointed. The only one I really liked was the Captain, and I decided it was much to big and bulky for hunting. I shot the DXT and Reezen today alongside the Hoyt Alphamax 32. I'm not partial, and even if I was a Mathews WILL NOT be my next bow. I fell in love with the AM32. I appreciate your input.

· Registered
312 Posts
Did you by chance shoot the admiral it is much like the captain just a smaller version and specs out similar to the am32

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.