Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all, for the past year I been thinking its time for a new hunting now, I'm currently shootin a old Jennings Sidekick II, Mostley for varmints and such, but I want a newer compound with a relatively short Axel to Axel, the Jennings is just too cumbersome for shooting from my tree stand, I've been looking at the PSE Brute X and the Mathews DXT if I can find any used for sale. only looking to spend about $350-$400 right now, I am however open to more suggestions Thanks.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I have a used switchback that I shoot and love that bow but between the two choices that you put up I would go with the Brute X. Getting a new bow means you are safe from having to spend money to replace anything from strings to bearings. I would go with the Brute X. That way you will have an adjustable draw as well so that takes out having to find a used bow with the correct draw as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was originally going to buy a brute X but I've ha some run ins with my father and him not wanting me to drop $500 on a now when I'm only 17, hopefully I'll convince him this summer

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
PSE Xforce HF or Hoyt Katera are two of the finest hunting bows ever made. Recent improvements over these bow are only marginal. Should be able to buy one of these for around $300. PSE's HF cams are adjustable with modules. Katera is a fixed draw length so be sure of you draw length before buying one. 2010 Strother and Elites models can sometimes be had for your stated price range. Both fine bows. Elite has a lifetime transferable warranty.

·
Waiting on Season
14,893 Posts
PSE hf6 or 7. You can find em on here in that price range

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Look on ebay and k&m archery hut for a new '12 martin silencer, bengal, onza or rytera alien. You can thank me later.

sent from my LG Escape.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
if i had a choice in bows i would look at pses mainline or ready to shot bows, they have many selections and vary in brace height, ata, weight, speed, etc. IF not pse look at mission they make solid bows, seen good things out of the ballistic. goodluck with your choice

Experience PSE, Experience Performance

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
I got an iceman for sale on here lower then your price range, imo the best bow diamond has ever put out. you will find a great used bow in that price range no doubt, always exciting getting a new rig, have fun.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
I say get the brute x (new) so you have a bow with a full warranty and you are always covered if something goes wrong...after you have that then you can look into a used flagship bow and have the peace of mind that your brute x is there if something goes wrong with the used bow

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Go new. You want that warranty if you are going to hold onto the bow for any length of time.

Pse or if you can scrape together a few extra bucks the hoyt charger is top notch

·
Registered
687 Posts
Elite bows have a transferable warranty. If I was buying used I would get One with the Transferable Warranty. No question about that. PSE may have that warranty to, not sure but I know there are others. Go with the warranty.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
They are so many choices....it's hard to give advice. Really depends on what your personal preferences are. Not sure why no one stuck up for the DXT, a lot of people say it and the Switchback are some of the best hunting bows ever made. Me personally...i'd look for a used Black Ice for around $280-$300.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts