Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a Mathews SQ2 for about 10 years now but have not bow hunted much for last few years. In fact my Mathews still has the original strings.I'm now getting the itch to put gun away and go back to the Bow Hunting. I will hunt approximately 45-50 days this season. I know the newer bows have changed a lot but I'm not sure if I should spend the money and upgrade or stick with what I have! Are the newer ones that much better??? If so, any recommendations on the direction I should take would be appreciated.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I'd suggest shooting the SQ2 for awhile to make sure you want to take the plunge. If so, I would suggest something a little more current, a lot has changed since the SQ2 was top dog!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I still have my SQ2 and haven't found a new compound that I like as much as it.
I'm hunting with a recurve now but would use the SQ2 in a heartbeat.
You should have a Mathews dealer check it out and probably get new string n cables. It might not be as fast as the new bows but it's a pure deer and turkey killer.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Upgrade. Bows have come a long way and definitely have leveled off. Good time to buy a used bow that's a year or so old.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
IMO things come along once in a while that MAKE you want to upgrade. The last plateau was parallel limbs and if you aren't shooting a bow with them as a hunter you are missing out. Of course your SQ2 has them.

Other than that the differences in the last few years have really been about speed. So what you are going to pay for in reality is a faster bow. Your bow is probably about a 305 FPS bow and nowadays 330 is almost the norm.........and 340+ is common. So is 25 or 30 FPS worth $800-$1200? That's what you need to ask yourself.

I'm "trying" to upgrade but my bow is just as quiet (if not more quiet) than the bows out there, it shoots (in my hand) just as well or better than anything I have tried and it's IBO is about 317 FPS. So like you I have to try to justify a lot off cash for about 25 FPS.

Personally I'm at the point now where I'm probably waiting for the next big thing. The No cam looks interesting but other than that it's really the same old stuff.....just faster.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
it is less of a matter of need than want,,, and there is a huge difference between what you have and what is out now, especially obsession and pse bows

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't think 25-35 FPS is gonna make that big of difference whether or not it's a kill shot. I think I will just put on new string and cable. And maybe try dropping back a lil on draw weight to compensate for 70% let off? I'm at 72# now.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Jimmy 1040, I would keep an open mind and check out some new bows. I have and honestly I have nothing that I don't like about the SQ2. The newer bows are much faster for sure. The only time the speed of my SQ2 "258fps" was a factor was shooting 3D from the IBO pins. If I was off on my guess on yardage, it would show over much faster bows.
The SQ2 was always the quietest out off all my buddies bows, even without string silencers.
Best of luck

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I shot a MQ32 for 10+ years and really liked the bow. a couple years ago I decided to get a newer bow so I bought a Hoyt Rampage XT. the bow is fast and quiet and I paid 500.00 new. I did a lot of research and 700.00 was the most I would ever pay. that said you might want to treat yourself to new strings and a good bow tune. the Zebra strings always worked well for me. you may be surprized how much better you SQ2 will shoot. new bows are better and more efficient for sure but the SQ2 is still a good hunting bow.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I still shoot and hunt with my '06 Allegiance and '04 Patriot...both are shooting machines and heck of a bow with dozens of deer to their credit.........I get good speed the Ally at 308 fps/62lbs/354 gr Velocity and the backup bow is the Patriot at 290 fps/67 lbs/380 gr Velocity 300's....I cant see spending a grand+ on a new rig when these two shoot so damn good.....

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
If I could upgrade, I'd go back to the Pearson Renegade I owned twenty years ago. Whisper quiet and smooth, I wish I had never let it go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
id definitely be upgrading those strings before I even think about picking up that bow.. ticking time bomb

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've tried many "new" bows each year for the last 5 or 6 years and I'm still shooting my 07 BowTech Guardian. Newer isn't always an upgrade!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Get new high quality string and cables. Then spend some time shooting for a few months to see if you really are suddenly going to find a passion for archery. Then evaluate if any newer bow offers you something your current bow you haven't been shooting doesn't.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Your old bow will work just fine BUT will a new bow maybe spark your interest again? Bows have come a good ways since then and you can get a 55lb bow now that will be faster than your old Mathews. They are also so much smoother on the draw and shot now you will be surprised! I would upgrade to a 2013 or 14' and save some money and get all the current technology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts