Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Bucknasty strings on for, starting 3 seasons this year. I read hard into this place about changing every year. I don't think that's neccessary now like I use to.

What are signs I need to get a new string/cable? It all looks good, no wearing, I am unaware of any stretching, and no peep alignment problems. It all seems good but I'm curious on reasons why I should. (real legit reasons) or just keep going with this string?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Unless I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd keep shooting them until something told me to replace them.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I don't like to go more then 2 years on a set of strings. Even saying that if you're still look good and everything is still in spec you're probably ok.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
My son was using my back-up bow last year, and the cable (not the string) snapped on him at full draw. The release was literally ripped off his hand, and smacked him hard in the side of his head, the arrow shot wild while we were standing close by watching. This was on my old Mathews Legacy.

Fortunately nobody got hurt. But if it had been a speedier bow, who knows what could have happened.

My D350 is starting to show some significant wear after 4 & 1/2 months of serious shooting (2 - 3 times per week) even though I am waxing it regularly. I am not taking the chance of ruining my bow, in order to save a few bucks. It's only $70 for a set of Tropy Strings/Cables. It's supposed to arrive a little later this week.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My son was using my back-up bow last year, and the cable (not the string) snapped on him at full draw. The release was literally ripped off his hand, and smacked him hard in the side of his head, the arrow shot wild while we were standing close by watching. This was on my old Mathews Legacy.

Fortunately nobody got hurt. But if it had been a speedier bow, who knows what could have happened.

My D350 is starting to show some significant wear after 4 & 1/2 months of serious shooting (2 - 3 times per week) even though I am waxing it regularly. I am not taking the chance of ruining my bow, in order to save a few bucks. It's only $70 for a set of Tropy Strings/Cables. It's supposed to arrive a little later this week.
3x's a week isn't overdoing it. I'd be concerned if my bow was eating strings every 4 months with just 3x's a week shooting IMO.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,660 Posts
To me, this brings up the question of, do you count how long the strings have been on the bow, or how many times the strings have been shot??? I shoot my bow almost every day and put maybe 50 to 100 shots through it each time.

I guess that I can see a case for replacing the strings if they've been on the bow for years and you don't trust them anymore, but it seems that whenever I say that I might need to get new strings, I get a story from someone about how long their strings have lasted them.

Don't the strings tell the story? Mine are getting pretty ragged, but I still get that same story about how long they SHOULD last.

·
Registered
162 Posts
String

My Hoyt Protec is more then 4 years old with the original strings/cables,
I shoot about 300 arrows a week all year round, check the strings/cables once a week, wax- 3-4 times a year and have no intention to change unless I spot something is wrong.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The string is made of 12-16 threads, each thread is capable of holding far more then 50#, so why change?

Good shooting.

Mike.

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
I know a guy who has a 6 year old bow and still has the stock strings on it.I am trying to explain to him they need to be changed, i just cant see why a person would chance there health or that shot at a deer over $70.00 ? If you think its time to change them then peace of mind is a small price at $70.00.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
i have had my bucknastys on

since 06 and they still shoot and look great no reason to change if you wax them and take care of them and no sighns of stress good luck.

·
edthearcher
6,455 Posts
I have had my Bucknasty strings on for, starting 3 seasons this year. I read hard into this place about changing every year. I don't think that's neccessary now like I use to.

What are signs I need to get a new string/cable? It all looks good, no wearing, I am unaware of any stretching, and no peep alignment problems. It all seems good but I'm curious on reasons why I should. (real legit reasons) or just keep going with this string?
i may be guilty of posting on how often to change strings, but i was only quoteing what some bow makers say
but as said if they look good no fraying end and center serving in good shape and your just a week end shooter probely are still good
in a lot of cases with league and 3D shooters they can put thousands of arrows threw there strings change often
like 60 x says he changes every 2 years i do it once a year why were string makers dont cost us as much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts