Archery Talk Forum banner

time to get a whole new set-up....please help....

609 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  malcolm31
so it is finally time to upgrade my complete bow and arrows....I have been looking at the Diamond "The Rock" at the local shops. The bow seems to fit and it has been getting some good reviews locally. My draw length is 27 inches and I pull about 55 lbs on my current bow. I shoot some indoor, but the bow will mainly be for whitetail deer hunting in PA.
I would also like to switch to carbon arrows, a new drop away rest, a new fiber optic sight, new stabilizer and, possibly, a new release (i have some big gift cards).
With this in mind, could you guys and gals make some recommendations on carbon arrows, arrow rests, fiber optic sights, stabilizers and releases?...maybe list your hunting set-up.....
I am not trying to start a thread about "this is better than that.." I would just like to hear some suggestions on gear that has proven effective in the past...thanks in advance....
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30,683 Posts
I don't know what price range you are looking at; I shop on a budget. I use a Trophy Taker Drop Away (the cheaper one) and have had no problems with it. I also use a Tru-glo sight. As for arrows.. I go into my favorite shop and say "I need arrows... again" and he sets me up.

· Registered
10,119 Posts
Lucky!!

You're lucky to have a 27+ draw, that puts you into some serious bows you can choose from.
Personally I shoot the Dream Season at 45lbs, Light Speed 500 arrows and get about 289 FPS.
My friend Heather shoots the same model but pulls 55 lbs and she's getting over 300 FPS. Not too bad for a girl.
Depending on your budget will determine a lot.
The Dream Season is not cheap but I plan on shooting it for a while.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
so it is finally time to upgrade my complete bow and arrows....I have been looking at the Diamond "The Rock" at the local shops. The bow seems to fit and it has been getting some good reviews locally. My draw length is 27 inches and I pull about 55 lbs on my current bow. I shoot some indoor, but the bow will mainly be for whitetail deer hunting in PA.
I would also like to switch to carbon arrows, a new drop away rest, a new fiber optic sight, new stabilizer and, possibly, a new release (i have some big gift cards).
With this in mind, could you guys and gals make some recommendations on carbon arrows, arrow rests, fiber optic sights, stabilizers and releases?...maybe list your hunting set-up.....
I am not trying to start a thread about "this is better than that.." I would just like to hear some suggestions on gear that has proven effective in the past...thanks in advance....
if the rumors are correct i would look at the new diamond center pivot bow coming out

· Banned
3,222 Posts
a used Hoyt is better than a new anything else. Check out Ebay and the for sale dept. of this site. Best 2 markets in the world for a pre-owned Hoyt.Shoot the best and save a few bucks.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
If you got the funds try out the new bowtech line or you can wait to see what mathews and a few others are putting out in october or november.

as for accessories. Look at both sword sights and spott hogg sights. they are built tough and awsomely bright. As far as rests look at the drop zone rests and the g5 expert 2 and the qad rests. Stabilizers well I hate them so others will have to help on that.

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the information....more info....

as far as a budget is concerned....if i am going to upgrade, i want to get quality...i am planning on saving and putting about $1000 into a total new bow set-up.....a guy at the local shop recommended the Diamond Black Ice. Once i get a little more money together....i am going to go and shoot the whole lineup.

here is what has been recommended by several different folks so far...

Diamond Black Ice (the Marquis is only 50 more dollars at the local shop??) or The Rock
Arrows Gold Tip XT 5575 Carbon Arrows with Blazers
G5 Striker Broadheads
Spot Hogg Hogg-it Hunter Sight with wrap
Vapor Trail Limb Driver Rest
Sims S-Coil Stabilizer
Scott Little Goose Release
Kwikee 5 arrow Quiver

what do you think about these recommendations???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.