Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Smart move, IMO. Carbons are overrated! Aluminum is more consistant in straightness, spine and weight. What else is there? Speed? Not that important to me. The pro's (most) shoot aluminum. Hmmmmm?:) Happy Huntin'.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
well at one time i thought the carbons were dangerous and wouldn't work for any reason. but then i got smart and started talking to people in the know and they convinced me to change over and i haven;t shot aluminums for hunting in well over 10 years. and the thing i noticed is they arrows are more consistant than they have ever been and i have great luck with my carbons that i shot. i have shot form gold tips to acc's and eastons and on and on and carbon impacts. they all were great arrows and i actually got better groups with my carbons than i ever did with aluminums. anyone who says that there is no consistancy with carbons is just looking to start an argument and we should just let it go as the person writing the letter is a poor lost soul and willnever make it to the 21st century lol
rob k

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hollowpoint10 said:
Aluminum is more consistant in straightness, spine and weight. What else is there? Speed?
Factory new yes. You shoot those alloys into target a few time and they get slightly bent and your groups open up. Carbons do no such thing and hence are overall more consistent. Speed also helps for target shooting as this reduces affects of drift.

But that's just from a target POV. I don't know anything about hunting. But carbons aren't all rubbish.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
You usually get what you pay for. If your shooting a tournament get the best arrow you can afford.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just switched from Easton A/C/C to Gold Tip 22 series for 3-d and gold tip XT 5575 for hunting, and I can find any difference in my grouping. they all carbon arrows groups just as tight as the aluminum/ carbon arrows does.

I couldn't tell you about a true aluminum shaft, because I have shot one of them in years.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have found that my ACC group slightly tigher on ave. at 50 yards vrs the Light Speed shaft.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The only carbons that I have liked are the ACCs, so I guess my experience parallels the letter. Still like to shoot aluminums too.

Dan

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reason I say what I say is because spot hog uses a shooting machine to do their tests. I am hoping that every body went to the link to READ WHAT THE FOUND OUT befor they post ;)

Tim

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Just an observation but... They were using thier awesome shooting machine. The average shooter/bowhunter may not be able to see any difference due to his inability to consistantly hold form, release and other factors to the standard that a shooting machine is able to. I'd say... advantage - undecided, unless you are a top level target competitor. And most of us aren't!

Like Recurve Boy noted, after a while the aluminums will bend slightly changing the results in a real world setting versus the carbons that stay the same as when bought. For the average among us... advantage - carbons. More consistant.

Carbon's stiffness is well documented resulting in better penetration in a hunting environment than the aluminum. The smaller diameter obviously helps in the wind also. I'm sure they were shooting at an inside range in controlled conditions. Thier results may have been different outside with a 15 mph crosswind. Advantage - carbons.

Also, note that they were actually recommending the hybrid variant A/C/C style of arrow shaft as opposed to pure aluminum or carbon. So in a sense, they weren't dissing the carbons as A/C/C's are considered in the carbon camp. You know, straightness from the aluminum, with the stiffness of carbon.

Interesting test. For me though, the carbons are all above my level of ability to see the difference and I'll bet they're above 98% of other shooter's also. Advantage - Whatever you have in your quiver!

~Scott

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
I read it they should at least say what arrows they used. If they want to inform us. At least let us know what not to buy. I stick to using easton products. Haven't had any problems like their talking about.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree,...and I think that using arrows from OTHER makers in the study would be better i.e. ACC, GOld TIP ect.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts