Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, I picked my first real "target bow"...a Pro Comp Elite with spiral's. Picked it up with no prior experience with spirals and/or 65% let-off ion general and shot my very first 300 with a 415 grain GT Pro-Hunter, needless to say the paper bug bit me pretty good that night...and I've been tossing around the idea of starting to enter some paper tournaments? Well, a few good buddies have been nudging me a little bit trying to get me to register for Vegas in February...so with that said having never shot a paper event before even on own the local level, it looks like I'll be headed to Vegas in a couple months. Hope this was a good idea?!?! LOL

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck bro!!! Just shoot and have fun!
Not gonna lie, pretty nervous...I've been shooting 3D's for years don't get me wrong, but shoulder to shoulder in Vegas in another breed of pressure! :nervous s

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Not gonna lie, pretty nervous...I've been shooting 3D's for years don't get me wrong, but shoulder to shoulder in Vegas in another breed of pressure! :nervous s
I wouldn't be nervous. Just shoot. Don't let it get to your head, 1 step at a time. Don't feel you have to do it all with 1 shot, just execute 1 after 1. I bet you will be fine!

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't be nervous. Just shoot. Don't let it get to your head, 1 step at a time. Don't feel you have to do it all with 1 shot, just execute 1 after 1. I bet you will be fine!
My biggest worries at this point are...

A- I'm still getting used to spirals (I've only had this bow a month)
B- The only arrows I have are GT Pro 22's
C- Practice is gonna be a Bee-Otch, since my nearest indoor lanes are literally 80 miles away at my Hoyt dealer.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You don't have to practice at 20 yards all the time...practice form and shot execution more than the 20 yard paper target. This will help you more than just shooting paper.
Doing the spot game is about consistency in your form and shot routine.
I do more practice on my for and shot routine than I do actually shooting paper for a score. Hours and hours of practice getting everything to flow and be second nature to where you don't have to consciously think about foot placement, anchor, aiming etc....this will help you more than anything.
Just remember, even at Vegas its still roughly 20 yards and the same face you practice on. Try to tune everything out going on around you and shoot one arrow at a time. Once that arrow leaves your string, worry about the next one, not where that one landed. On a 5 spot you shoot 60 one arrow tournaments. Vegas you shoot 30 one arrow tournaments.
Easier said than done I know but this is the best advice I can give you.
Remember, keep it fun, its just a game!!!

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have to practice at 20 yards all the time...practice form and shot execution more than the 20 yard paper target. This will help you more than just shooting paper.
Doing the spot game is about consistency in your form and shot routine.
I do more practice on my for and shot routine than I do actually shooting paper for a score. Hours and hours of practice getting everything to flow and be second nature to where you don't have to consciously think about foot placement, anchor, aiming etc....this will help you more than anything.
Just remember, even at Vegas its still roughly 20 yards and the same face you practice on. Try to tune everything out going on around you and shoot one arrow at a time. Once that arrow leaves your string, worry about the next one, not where that one landed. On a 5 spot you shoot 60 one arrow tournaments. Vegas you shoot 30 one arrow tournaments.
Easier said than done I know but this is the best advice I can give you.
Remember, keep it fun, its just a game!!!
Thanks Sir, your time & effort is sincerely appreciated. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
14,506 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
I would suggest hit a tournament before heading to Vegas. Find one and drive to it.

That being said my first exsperiance was indoor nationals and it went OK. Never had shot a indoor event before it. Members here talked me into it.

DB

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest hit a tournament before heading to Vegas. Find one and drive to it. That being said my first exsperiance was indoor nationals and it went OK. Never had shot a indoor event before it. Members here talked me into it.
I hear ya, there were 2 locally here in Utah over the past couple weeks...but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. :(

·
74,535 Posts
I hear ya, there were 2 locally here in Utah over the past couple weeks...but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. :(
Go with it and go with the attitude to have fun! Diffiantly buy some Vegas targets and practice on them.
DB

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Don't do it! Run away! You're not ready! Is that what the voices in your head are saying? Good luck and have fun. You're not going to win so you mine as well chalk it up as an awesome experience. Just don't shoot hung over with Spirals, could be bad.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey good luck to ya man, just stay confident in yourself, practice the little things for now they will all add up later. You don't want to go in there and not be use to holding your bow. Like others have said, if you have a 10 yard area young age access to, or even 5 yards. Get a target and shoot. At least then you'll feel comfortable with the bow in hand. Then when you go to the range you can really get use to shooting spot

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Don't do it! Run away! You're not ready! Is that what the voices in your head are saying? Good luck and have fun. You're not going to win so you mine as well chalk it up as an awesome experience. Just don't shoot hung over with Spirals, could be bad.
plenty to be won in flights.....top dog in freestyle flights gets alot......lol plenty of poker too...hahah my 2 fav things all in one, archery n poker...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
yea i would worry about form and shot execution, and have fun. If i can't have fun i won't do it. lol Dnt let the shoulder shoulder bother you just worry about one X at a time

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
Good luck - you'll be fine. Don't set any expectations about scores etc. - just go and try to shoot every arrow the best you can. The score will be the score and it will be a great learning experience.

One suggestion you might consider is to make a mini Vegas target if you can shoot inside your house. I used to do that with a 5 spot target. I cut out one spot (of 5) and shrunk it on a copier - then made 5 copies of them and put them on one piece of paper and made multiple copies of it. So I essentially had 5 spot targets on 8 1/2" x 11" paper that I could shoot at < 10 yards in my basement. It's not exactly the same but it helps give you exposure to holding on the x while working on your form etc. Note that you'll have to adjust your sight to hit the x or just be fine with it hitting low. You'll also go through a lot of paper because you will shoot the X out pretty quickly. May not be worth the effort to you but thought I'd throw out the idea as it worked for me (pretty sure I got the idea from someone else here on AT once upon a time).

Either way - have fun and enjoy the experience!

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again to all those who've taken the time to respond, I appreciate it... :pepsi:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts