Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been hunting for years and bow hunting heavily for the last three years. I have been using my old PSE Nova that i got over 8 or 9 years ago and it have served me well. Have upgraded everything on the bow pretty much and have had fun doing it. However this year i want to upgrade to a newer bow.

I have been looking around and shot a few bows and like them all. Im on a budget but that budget can be flexable. I would like to stay in the 3-400 dollar range for a bare bow but if its worth it i would spent up to $500. Last year i fell in love with the Bowtech General and really wanted to buy one this year but have decided to stay in the lower price range for now. I was looking at a PSE Brute (or PSE whitetail madness at dicks) and it seemed like a nice bow but i dont know how great of a bow or what the best bow in my price range would be.

Maily my question is should i wait a little extra and get a low model hoyt or bowtech? or should i grab a PSE brute and use that for a few years? Im sure any newer bow will be a nice upgrade from what i have now but would like to hear from you guys.

Any suggestions on a good bow in my price range?

G

·
HOYT turbowhawk. $550 with a $50 mail in rebate Brand New. Basically the AM 32 with a cast magnesium riser instead of machined aluminum.

·
Banned
1,745 Posts
Look in the classifieds here. Dont look past the elite z28 though. If you got a dealer near you I highly suggest you try one out then look for good deals in the classifieds here on Archery talk.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
You can find some pretty nice bows in the classifieds here in your price range. I will be going the "classy" route here in the next couple months.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
HOYT turbowhawk. $550 with a $50 mail in rebate Brand New. Basically the AM 32 with a cast magnesium riser instead of machined aluminum.
bingo!!!!! or you could find a used general in the classifieds.

·
Registered
967 Posts
if i was looking to get a new bow, i would hold out for a few more months to see what all the bow makers are going to put out.or you may be able to pick up a used last years high end bow at your price,after everyone else buys all the new stuff....

·
Banned
1,745 Posts
Oh almost forgot. Now if you buy an Elite bow second hand even though your not the original owner the warranty is still covered for you :). Only company that offers the warranty on used bows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
try ebay

I recently bought a mathews conquest on ebay. It was used but barely and was half the price of new. This could be a good option cuz most guys take really good care of there hunting equipment after making that kind of investment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!!!

I am going to go to the local bowshop tonight and try out one of the turbohawks. I will also keep my eye open for a Z28 though all I have seen have been in the higher price range.

I was looking on the classifieds and found some nice deals on bowtech commanders, however I have read they are not as much a hunting bow and are quite heavy. Any opinions?

If anyone has any other bows I should take a look at please let me know.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Buy a used 07 or 08 HF 6 x-force. Nothing can touch it in the noise and vibration department for its high speed.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
You really can't go wrong with a BM from PSE. If you are really wanting a performance hunting bow though I would suggest a used X-Force. If you have never shot 1 they are amazing bows & since you have already got all your accessories it would really be a sweet upgrade. IMO

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Check the classifieds here. You can find great deals on bows if you are patient enough.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys

I tried a few bows today. First were a powerhawk and superhawk by hoyt and a mission G4 by mathews. Both were nice and I would be happy with both but I went to another shop and shot a few more bows. Shot a parker, a diamond Iceman (out of my price range) and when I talked to the guy he brought out a leftover Bowtech Gaurdian and I loved it. It was very smooth and quiet and shot fast. I can get the bow brand new with warrenty for 500$ what do you guys think? I know the bow has good reviews but wanted to post here to see if it was a good deal and what to look for on the bow

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Martin Moab with the best in customer service

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Guardian is the best Bow That Bowtech Ever Built In my opinion. I have owned one for a couple years and it is a dream to shoot..

I paid 800 for mine 2 years ago.. Only Limb problem I ever had with Mine wat because I hit the Lower Limb on my tree stand and it caused a splinter... I shot it the rest of the year and replaced them after season..

If you Like the way the guardian shot You will be hard pressed to find anything you will like better.. .Price wise I am not sure if this is a deal or not But if your happy who cares...

G

·
turbohawk. different cams and limbs than the powerhawk and super hawk. get the high end performance of an alphamax, with a NICE price

G

·
and you can oder it how you want it. black limbs camo riser, black riser camo limbs. all black. all camo. get exactly what you want when ya buy new, not what somebody else wanted

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You said you hit the limb and it splintered, are they that sensitive that a slight hit on a tree stand could hurt it or was it a hard hit? How much were the limbs to replace?

Is there anything that i should look for on the bow? Were there any limb updates i should know about on the bow? Would it be worth putting a winners choice string or such on the bow right away or just use what it comes with until new strings are needed?

I think i might go for this one but not sure if its that great of a deal or if im just excited to have a new top quality bow with a warrenty in my price range lol.

Thanks a ton guys i am quickly becoming addicted to this site and checking it on the blackberry during every break at lunch!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts