Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder how people find so much spare time to invest into hunting. Not just the hunt but all the time to invest in properly scouting, ensuring permisions are obtained (i like to visit with the landowner to ensure my we understand each other's so it takes all evening).

My family is so busy between work, school, sports, farming, yard work, house work, general chores. My wife and i are always on the run. i love spending time with my family, i cherish every minute and understand i am blessed to have such luxury.

This bear season is about 2 months long. i have 2 evenings that were free to sit in the tree stand. my buddy was a very good help ensuring the hunt was successful and i harvested an awesome spring bear.

Any way, i'm not trying to sound whiney, just wish for more good hours in the day. have a great day evey one.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I completely get this, my family is everything to me too. You hunt when you can make the time. Try getting the kids involved in hunting too...then you get hunting time and family time all wrapped up in one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Family always first...

But its like the people who say they have no time to work out...

There is time, you just have to make it.

It had to be your PASSION

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
I'm trying to stay single. But, if I can find a bowhunting female who isn't in the mood for kids soon, with a large salary, hunting life will be good.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
To my family hunting is what I should be doing in the fall. If I can put five deer in the freezer we wont buy any red meat for the year. My kids are a bit older so it makes things a little easier. My youngest is 11 and she loves to go check cameras and feeders with me. They are all very involved with school as well. Between Marching band, art expos and all the other stuff they do it gets crazy. My wife video tapes stuff for me and I make special times for my kids. Some mornings instead of riding the bus I drive everyone and we get breakfast on the way to school.

I have been a part time stay at home Dad and part time Craftsman for a number of years so I do have more time than some but it still takes a lot of work to keep things moving smoothly. If I know I am hunting in the evening I will have dinner started or make sure there is something ready to go. When I am not in the woods I make sure I focus on them. Two years ago my son and I did 100 fly fishing trips in 12 months. Our 100th day came on Christmas eve in the rain with a very good friend. Everyone in the family thought that was a very cool deal, even the girls who were home with Mom doing stuff.

I guess my point is, if you do not make the time, the time will never come. So the car didn't get washed, or the leaves are still on the yard. For me I have lost way toooo many years trying to find the time instead of making the time. I am sure there were things that got left not done when my son and I did all that fly fishing but I would not give back one minute of that time.

Last year while my wife had our kids at church doing trunk-r-treat I shot my first deer ever. That was a huge deal to my whole family. My oldest daughter helped me gut it and hang it. That was an incredible time for both of us, she still talks about it.

I have never felt like more of a provider, Father, and Husband than when I brought home a deer. When I am in the woods with my bow I am putting my family first.

Sorry guys if I went off the deep end but this stuff is really spiritual to me in a very real way. It isn't twisted or diluted, it is raw, and pure, and the way it was meant to be.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
To my family hunting is what I should be doing in the fall. If I can put five deer in the freezer we wont buy any red meat for the year. My kids are a bit older so it makes things a little easier. My youngest is 11 and she loves to go check cameras and feeders with me. They are all very involved with school as well. Between Marching band, art expos and all the other stuff they do it gets crazy. My wife video tapes stuff for me and make special times for my kids. Some mornings instead of riding the bus I drive everyone and we get breakfast on the way to school.

I have been a part time stay at home Dad and part time Craftsman for a number of years so I do have more time but it still takes a lot of work to keep things moving smoothly. If I know I am hunting in the evening I will have dinner started or make sure there is something ready to go. When I am not in the woods I make sure I focus on them. Two years ago my son and I did 100 fly fishing trips in 12 months. Our 100th day cam on Christmas eve in the rain with a very good friend. Everyone in the family thought that was a very cool deal, even the girls who were home with Mom doing stuff.

I guess my point is if you do not make the time the time will never come. So the car didn't get washed, or the leaves are still on the yard. For me I have lost way toooo many years trying to find the time instead of making the time. I am sure there were things that got left un done when my son and I did all that fly fishing but I would not give back one minute of that time.

Last year while my wife had my kids at church doing trunk-r-treat I shot my first deer ever. That was a huge deal to my whole family. My oldest daughter helped me gut it and hang it. That was an incredible time for both of us, she still talks about it.

I have never felt like more of a provider, Father, and Husband than when I brought home a deer. When I am in the woods with my bow I am putting my family first.

Sorry guys if I went off the deep end but this stuff is really spiritual to me in a very real way. It isn't twisted or diluted, it is raw, and pure, and the way it was meant to be.
Really great post!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I've got an awesome one myself, just without the hunting part. But she loves to fish and camp with me and our boys, so that counts for something, huh?
Sure does !!! I have been married almost 20 years. We all love to camp but she leaves the hunting and fly fishing to the boys.....LOL

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
There are only 24 hours (give or take for you astronomers) in a day. You have to make the most out of each and every minute. I have a daughter that is following in my footsteps as a musician. She also plays soccer and tennis. I have another daughter that is into shooting sports. My wife takes care of her elderly grandparents, and I am normally recording (session artist) which puts me on the road at times. My wife and I also have a budding (or would that be new and struggling) cake and catering business. We don't simply bake cakes, we do full sculptures, wedding cakes, exotic stuff that no one else in my area dares to tackle. Add in that my father is in the final stages of cirhossis and constantly needs help and the hours quickly melt away. Did I mention that I am also a full time grad student?

I find time to hunt by making that time a bonding time with my two younger brothers. We are all in our 30s now and have learned how to get along. We find the time to hunt early in the mornings before work begins, or after a long day just before sunset. We also schedule camping trips for hunts months, and sometimes a year in advance.

Never forget your priorities, put the important things first, and when you have the time get into the woods and play a little. You might have to schedule your hunts in. You may not make it into the woods every weekend or mutiple times a week. Cherish the time you get to hunt, and if you bag a deer, turkey, limit of doves, duck, or whatever your preferance may be feel blessed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
To me its simple, I plan my hunts so that there is no surprise where i will be at that weekend. But just as most said, priorities of my family will always take the place of hunting. Lucky my daughter is starting to show more interest so that makes it easier to hit the woods with her.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
It is all about priorities. I didn't hunt for 10 years because I was too busy, I coached football, basketball etc. I do not regret it at all. My kids are grown now so I have all the time I want to dedicate to hunting activities. I am fortunate in that I live where I hunt so I save a lot of time in that there is no travel to the spot, I can scout every time I go down the 1/2 mile driveway.

·
Bloody Arrow = Happiness!
5,480 Posts
I am lucky. My job is a week on and a week off. I do all the "Extra" shifts I can during the summer months and make as much additional cash as I can. That way when the season rolls around I can hunt as much as I want and not feel guilty about setting in the woods and saying no to extra work offered. I normally take a week off in november so that way I can spend 3 weeks straight in the woods. We have 15 acres and the farmer next door lets us hunt his 350 acres almost exclusively. (his grand kids come up a couple days each fall) The wife/best friend loves fall and deer hunting too as I am very blessed.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Its not easy if you put the kids in too many things and then feel like you have to be at every event etc. I have several friends that have kids in two or three sports all the time. They don't do anything but drive kids from place to place. The rare time they are not driving kids they are doing all the other things they are "supposed to do".

It is funny to me that my mom would not have friends over if the house wasn't all cleaned up. I let my kids, four of them, do one sport at a time. I am at most games, but they understand if they have a game November 3rd, I am not gonna be there. My lawn is green and cut and if someone wants more than that, they can go somewhere else. If you don't like a cup sitting on the counter top, visit some place else. That way I get to see most of my kids stuff, the yard is in pretty good shape, and the house is usually pretty decent, and I get to hunt.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts