Archery Talk Forum banner

Timing Cams on a Reflex Super Slam

2286 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  joe hunter 61
A friend ask me to help him with his bow and I need some info on timing the cams on it. I have worked on a few Hoyt's and I have a link to a thread on AT that JAVI & nuts&bolts did on the Hoyt cam and a half. Is the cam on the reflex the same as the Hoyt's? It's called the Slam & 1/2. The thread for the Hoyt cam talks about holes in the cams that should line up to the limbs for the cam synchronization but the holes on each cam appear to be different in size. The draw stop timing is way off so I need to get that right. What about the holes or marks for the synchronization?

Thanks,

BAN
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
from what i got from javis posts is you do not need to pay attention to the holes on the cams and only go by how the cables hit and lay on the draw stops i have timed my 04 protech and my 98 magtech with command cams this way and works very good.a draw board works very well for doing this...

· Spot Shooter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i got from javis posts is you do not need to pay attention to the holes on the cams and only go by how the cables hit and lay on the draw stops i have timed my 04 protech and my 98 magtech with command cams this way and works very good.a draw board works very well for doing this...
The top cam lags the bottom cam by a long ways. Should I adjust both the buss and control cables in opposite directions to get it back in time? I mean it's a long way behind the bottom cam.

Anyone know how many turns you can turn the limb bolts out on this bow?

· Spot Shooter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ttt

· Registered
47,636 Posts
The top cam lags the bottom cam by a long ways. Should I adjust both the buss and control cables in opposite directions to get it back in time? I mean it's a long way behind the bottom cam.

Anyone know how many turns you can turn the limb bolts out on this bow?
The Slam and a Half cams are timed using the exact same set of instructions used for the Cam and a Half. The only differences in them is the shape of the cam lobe (cosmetic) and they adjust in 1" increments instead of 1/2". Go to the tuning section and find the instructions posted there for cam and a half timing and follow it. I've timed a bunch of 'em using that method.

As far as the top cam lagging, it happens. The buss cable creeped. But instead of just adjusting the stop timing follow Javi's instructions on synching the cams and returning the bow to spec before fine tuning the stops.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a Reflex Timberwolf with the Slam and a Half cams. I have found that when the cables are visable within the timing holes, my cams are in sync. The cables don't have to be centered, but somewhere within the timing holes. When the cables are not within the timing holes, my bow shoots like crap. It torques really bad and wants to jump out of my hand. Usually one cam or the orher is under rotated. That has been my experience with the Slam and a Half cams.
I have only had this issue (cams being out of sync) once. When I took the bow to a local Hoyt dealer, he told me to forget the timing marks, but could not get the cams to roll over together until the cables were within the timing holes!

· Spot Shooter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys!

Anyone know about how many turns on the limb bolts?

· Registered
1,587 Posts
where are the timing holes on the slam and a halfs? my xp 35 has these, and i dont see a mark, or corisponding holes on the top and bottom cam. if they are holes, mine is way off, and i need to figure out which holes im workin with. lol i know this is an old post, but my season starts thursday, and this thing shoots like crap! help please

· Registered
47,636 Posts
You'll see two small holes (one on each cam) and the cables should be near them now, even out of synch. You want the cables crossing them somewhere, and they don't have to be perfectly centered.

I put different limbs and cams (XT2000s and SpiralXs) on one of those. It's a shooter for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.