Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know how to time my own bow.can anyone help me with this? i have a high country machined supreme it has two cams.help me.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
you can go to the top of this thread and there is a sticky about cam timing, it is on the hoyts cam 1/2 but is still a 2 cam system and will be the same directions with twisting the cables to get the cams to rotate and stop at the same time. You can also buy a book from Larry Wise called tuning your compound bow, get the third edition, lancaster and cabelas both sell it, the book has pics and covers dual cams and solo cam timing as well as making serving repairs.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
bobdoddle said:
where do i buy this book
Lancaster Archery Supply and Amazon Books have a good selection of Archery books.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
You could also log onto www.martinarchery.com and there is an explaination on how to time the Nitrous cam. Although it's not the same cam the process is still the same for any dual cam system.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Wise's book is a good read, but you don't really need it to synchronize your cams. (BTW there's a difference between timing and synchronization, although many archers [and a lot of magazine writers!] confuse the two terms.)

Just draw the bow back and feel as it hits the back wall. If you feel a solid "bump," then it's synchronized. If it feels "bump-bump," then one cam is bottoming out before the other. If so, twist the buss that attaches to the cam that bottoms out first. Repeat until you feel them both bottoming at the same time.

Sounds hard at first, but it's really easy as pie once you do it a few times.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I'm guessing here that this is a hatchet cam, right? And the lobe of the cam is whacking the string when you shoot, right? This is an indication of an elongated string (creep) or a string that is just too long in the first place.

They should be rotated so that the flat part of the lobe is approximately parallel to the string. This is done by shortening the string by twisting it or replacing it, depending on how much has to be done. Actually it doesn't hurt to go just a little bit farther on the short side to allow for some more creep. Maybe 1/8" or so.

Now I'm going to pick on you some. If you shot your bow enough you would have noticed this a long time ago because you would know that for this to happen the draw length would have gotten longer by at least 1", which you can tell if you're familiar with your equipment.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
bobdoddle said:
my cams are hitting the bow string at rest. this is why i think the bow is out of time.
could you please post a pic for us to see what is really going on, sounds like your string has streched.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i haven't shot the bow in three years and i had a new string put on that season. this is the first bow i've owned. i don't know alot about the equipment. i'm trying to learn as much as i can to this myself. we have one shop from where i'm from and i've been told that the guy is not real reliable.i appreciate all the advice.i'll try to post some pics soon. thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to the high country people they told me my string had stretched I ordered a new one I made a bow press took the bow apart the half rounds are wore out the bushings in the cams are also bad. they replaced all parts for free.i should get them today and i'll be putting the bow back together. never did get any pic. before i took it apart.thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts