Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting traditional, recurve and wooden arrows with feathers for a couple years.
I wanted to make my own arrows.
I haven't found much guidance on what weight points to use.
I chose 100 grain and some of the master archers questioned that.
Does point weight add stability or just add to the overall arrow weight?
also for non-broadhead target arrows any preference of 4" or 5" fletching?

these arrows are for our family shooting from 30# to 45# bows.

my initial set were 100 grain tips and 5" fletching.

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If 5" feathers and 100-grain points are what works well for you now, there should be no reason to change. This, of course, assumes you've tuned the bow to determine the proper spine weight and length shaft to use.

---------------------

Matt,

Dymanic spine is effected by 5# for every inch difference in shaft length, or 35 grains in tip weight.

·
Registered
20,827 Posts
cooper -

If they fly well and you're happy with where they are landing, don't worry about what the masters say.

An arrow is steered by the fletching and the weigh of the head, actually the FOC (front of center % - see the thread with that in the title).

For target arrows, especially those that need to cover long distances, 100 gr, (or less) heads are fine. For hunting. For shorter distances the extra weight, greater FOC, may help stabilze the arrow faster, but will soften the spine somewhat. I've had no problems with 100/125 gr broadheads in the past, but they were always on aluminum arrows.

Bottom line, is it's always trail and error.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The 100 grain points and 5" fletching in 30 to 45# bows sounds just fine to me. You could go with 4" fletching but it probably wouldn't save you any money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts