Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is the correct amount to tip a guide for a succesful hunt? Lets say the guide charges $1000.00 for a seven day bear hunt and you are succesful in filling your tag. The guide was extremely orgonized and it showed that he had put in a lot of time putting up stands and baiting. Going into this hunt I told myself that I would tip my guide a dollar for each pound my bear weighed, but after seeing all that he had done this just didn't seem enough for me so I did tip more. Just looking for other peoples opions and what you have done in the past.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tip ?

the average tip for a guided hunt depends on the quality and services provided.15% is a fair ammount weather you score or not.the final ammount is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've hunted a lot of states for both big game and waterfowl, and Africa once.

I start out at $75 a day as a minimum. If I think he works hard I go up from there. If he sucks and doesn't deserve $75 a day tip then most likely I won't stay the whole hunt anyway - and yes I've left many hunts early.

To me tipping doesn't depend on succes. I've tipped the most to some guides where I was not sucessful, and the least to some I killed trophies on.

It also depends on the hunt. If your 1v1 with a guide I'd obviously tip better because your getting more attention out of the guide etc... If your on say a goose hunt with 6 other guys I'd tip less.

A bear hunt may be different if he drops you off at bait and does this with several hunters at once....

Remember to tip the staff such as cooking/skinning/ and whoever helps you get it all done.

·
Registered
834 Posts
just a thought....Why should you tip when you are already paying for the service???? I know people tip wait staff at restaurants, but..if i am paying thousands for a hunt....i want it to be taken care of before I get there...no extra cost..that's just me

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tough call and very dependant on the circumstances:

I went on a bear trip up in Canada. Stayed in a cabin with the 4 others in my party. Cooked our own meals. First day of the hunt the guide took us out to the hunt area (12 miles away) and helped us pick our stand locations and a total of three bait sites each. We hung our own stands. After that we went out and baited all our sites each day with bait he provided. We tracked our own kills and hauled them back to the camp on our ATV's where he skinned them and took the meat into town to a butcher to be packaged and frozen. Sometimes on the way out to our stands we even baited some of his other bait locations so he wouldn't have to make the trip. I shot a 325 pound boar.

Basically we had paid for lodging and a location to hunt, he skinned and preped our bears and provided bait. There were a total of about 15 hunters in the camp that week.

I didn't tip as we did most of the work - which was OK with me.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
I am one of those who has a problem with tipping for a service you already paid for. That being said, I understand that the guide is probably working for a service and they don't get paid much. It really gripes me that if I go on a halibut charter for instance and stay at the charters B&B, that I need to tip the wait staff. Last one I went on, they even had an empty envelope sitting on the night stand with a flyer outlining proper tipping techniques/amounts. It just made me sick at how blatant they were. I had already paid about 500 bucks for this trip and now they want me to shell out another 100?????????????????

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The problem is that we pay the Outfitter the hunt-fee......his guides (who really do the work, not usually the owner of the outfitting service) typically get paid next to NOTHING by the outfitter.....the vast majority of their wages is dependent upon the hunter's tips.....

And that's the part I have a problem with.....the Outfitter should be the one that makes sure the guides get paid fairly.....NOT the hunters.....

I'd rather pay a little more up-front for the hunt and not have to worry about how much to tip......the Outfitter should make sure his employee's are fairly compensated.....NOT leave it up to the hunters! :mad:

Inevitably, there will be some rich dude in camp with you that tips almost as much as the hunt itself cost! Then the rest of the guys look like cheapskates when they give a "customary" tip!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
This topic comes up all the time, you can't compare them to wait staff, those folks get below minimum wage because of tips. Guides get a per-day fee, something on the order of $100-$200/day. That's $700-$1400/week. Yes its long hours, yes its not tons of money, but it is a choice going in.

On a recent elk hunt we asked the outiftter, he said $0, he pays his guides well and they know what they are signing on for. He has long term guides, so they must like something about working for him.

the average tip I saw from hunters, was around $100-$150 per hunter, that's $200-$300 in tips/week.

Saying 15% on a $4000 hunt is alot. Tip what you are comfortable tipping, the two times I have been on guided hunts the guides seemed happy to get anything. We went back for a second trip and now scheduled for a third trip, same outfitter, same guide. So we must be doing something right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts