Archery Talk Forum banner

tips for shed hunting

791 7
I am thinking I want to go out shed hunting this spring but I don't know the first thing about it. Can anyone give me some tips on doing it the right way. There has to be more to it then just walking around the woods hoping you find something right?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Look for antlers...Sorry couldn't help it, I've found quite a few on Our lease in Kentucky right when they start to drop. If You wait to long they get harder to find, they get buried in leaves, dirt, etc... I've always heard people using dogs to find them, they say just about any kind of dog will find them. I have always wanted to try My beagle out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'll have to take my lab out and see if he is more useful than I thought he was, lol

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
hit the food sources, me and dad found 12 in wheat fields last year.... hit up obvious bedding areas and FOLLOW THE TRAILS....

Also hit fence and creek crossings.... basically anything in which a buck would have to jump or make a hard enough impact to jar their antlers loose...

i find about 98% of mine on my 4 wheeler if that tells you anything

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
shed hunting

I've never tried this but I've been told to put corn in an open stubble bean field or wheat field and keep there for several weeks. sooner or later the bucks will likely drop an antler or two when frequenting the food source. the point of a bean or wheat field is they are easy to spot from a distance.

Sometime back there was a thread about making antler traps. Some interesting ideas. One was to put corn or other feed under a picnic table and the bucks would bump their antlers on the table and knock them off getting at the corn. Some also suggested putting corn next to a fence with the same effect. Presumably you would want to use a board fence to avoid the deer getting their antlers caught in a wire fence and hurting themselves if the antlers were not ready to come off.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's I'll have to give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.