Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 260 acres today. It’s a working winery. Am told it’s absolutely loaded with deer. How would you guys attack this place just looking at the photos. I really don’t want to go stomping around through there this time of year to scout. Appreciate your opinions.

Ecoregion Map World Font Mountain

Ecoregion Map World Font Screenshot

·
Back down to ground level
18,413 Posts
Was expecting rows of grape vines. If it's that loaded with deer a little scouting won't hurt. Or go in the old road a little ways until you see sign on the road and set up there. Go in a little deeper to explore some more before leaving each day or before setting up again in early afternoon. I'd pick a rainy, windy day to stillhunt and explore along the property lines to find the trails where they are coming in off the fields.

·
Registered
Big buck down
251 Posts
It’s so hard to tell from without actually scouting it. Looks like you have some nice ridges and creeks in there. Have you found any good bedding on the property?

This spot looks like it could be a good little pocket; there’s three ridges meet there.

Attachments

Reactions: z7hunter11

·
Registered
Elite Envision
326 Posts
It's a working vinery then they are used to human activity. Scout. Set up. Deer use to people learn what is encroachment and what is passing activity.
We have a working ranch. Deer watch us mend fences and cut wood. Don't overthink it.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been on the chainsaw, look up to see 6 or more Sambar hinds staring at me from 30 yards away.... They can be as curious as they are shy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Agree with others and the spot woodsman circled. I would walk it once midday with the wind in my favor and pay very close attention and plan my setups all from that day. Deer getting bumped once they will be right back in there especially with wind in your favor. I would expect upper 1/3 bedding off those points based on wind direction.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Id set an observation stand where you can see pretty far and gather some intel on how the deer use the property, I'd also place cell cameras at any areas that might funnel deer movement and start figuring out what kind of resident population you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts