Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home from work to the AZ Mini jig on the table - finally, ordered it last week, stinking usps!

Anyway, threw a few vanes in there to see how it'll work. Do you have any tips to provide for using this? It seemed really easy but experienced guys usually can share a thing or two..

My set up:

GoldTip 7595 with GT nocks

2.1" AAE Max Hunter vanes
Or
2" Bohning Blazer vanes

Easton Quick Bond glue (advised to me by local shop, especially for the AAEs)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is really easy, so don't make it more complicated that what you need.

The biggest thing IMO....... make sure you get a good seat with the nock. Be sure to use just enough glue so you have minimal excess being pushed out. Before clamping down I ensure all vanes are seated correctly and then close. I really push the cap down hard and let sit for 2 minutes before removing.

After a handful of arrows you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Clean your arrows with a bit of Comet and hot water with a scotchbrite pad first, then wipe dry with a clean paper towel.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I saw the inventor of the mini on tv on a show and he showed how he used it. He said to use as little glue as possible,basically a film on each vane. The spring exerts 13 pounds of pressure on the vane base and that is why you need very little glue. I too use the mini and aae max hunter vanes. That set up is like having quikspins without the kicker. I have noticed better accuracy with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
CLEAN THE SHAFTS with White Gas. (Coleman fuel)

The Coleman fuel comes in 1 gallon cans and is the very best stuff for cleaning. It contains NO OILS like acetone, purple clean or alcohol does.

Don't use a ton of super glue either. A small bead all the way from tip to tip will suffice.

Settle the veins all the way into the bottom of the EZ Fletch and close the device with one smooth motion.

After a couple minutes take the shaft out and remove any excess with a clean dry rag.

Your veins will stay put.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Use minimal glue..get some bottle tips for a precise bead. Don't push too hard on the cap as it will flatten out the nose of the vane on the shaft. If you use too much glue it will build up on the arms. Get a decent sized cup of acetone and soak it in the acetone to remove excess glue.

Be careful when arms close to prevent the vanes from sliding up in the arm slot.

I have 6 of these fletchers and can do a dozen arrows in less than a dozen minutes..lol.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just started fletching a few weeks ago. I've purchased a Bitz with right clamp and was told to "dab" my vane on wax paper after glue was applied. It made a world of difference in my craftsmanship and also the strength of the vane hold.

Does anyone take the time to dab vanes with your fingers on wax paper and then set them in?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A light oil or Pam spray or string wax on the arms will stop excess glue from sticking on arms, it usually builds up first at bottom of the arms because that's were most excess will go, keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
little glue goes a long way, also you can put a little wax on the arms so if you get glue on them it wipes right off

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If you think you don't have enough glue, you probably have plenty. The way this clamps the vanes down, it really squeezes out any excess.

As for tricks, do a 6 fletch for fun. Basically do a normal arrow, then flip it around and apply 3 more vanes, looks funky! The existing vanes will fit between the arms.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the advice. Great jig thus far!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You've probably noticed that most people warn about using to much glue. A trick I use is to put a few dots of glue on the vane, then spread it with the glue tip. After it's spread take a piece of cardboard, like the tab from a cereal box and squeegee it off. The thinner the film the stronger the bond.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I put a small amount of bow wax on the sides of the vane holders and the base so if I get excess glue it doesnt stick to the jig. Here's my FF 2" Flash vanes

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
To make them look clean and like a shop did them after you remove the arrow from the mini , take a Q-tip to clean off the excess glue around the vanes . Also I like to use Super Glue Gel , I have found that if you do get glue on the clamp arms the gel is much easier get off it also is easier to lay down a small bead of glue , and I also soak the whole thing in acetone for 30 min. then wash it with hot water if I do get a lot of build up .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Man, I absolutely love my Mini! I wish the longer arms had as much helical... I really miss the EZ fletch for my longer vanes!

These guys are all spot on. Your fletchings will be top quality and shoot very accurately with that jig!

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,645 Posts
It probably isn't necessary, but I put a drop of glue at each end of the fletch. It still looks clean and it is impossible to pull the vane off!

·
Anti Fanboy
42,757 Posts
Best tips I can offer is to make sure the nock is seated properly and do not push the locking collar down too hard. If you push down too much it will move the vanes out of place.

I always do as Perry stated above, put a dab of glue on the forward and aft on any fletching.

Skeet.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Use Loctite ultragel superglue. This is the best tip you will get because everything else about the jig is EZ! The AZ EZ fletch is a great tool.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts